2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 AM
jisthangin01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end question...

I have a 99 sport with the 5.9 and anti-spin rear. The tag under the hood says its a chrysler 9.2 i think, and a ratio of 3.55. I just noticed tonight while driving home, im getting a whine coming from the rear. I have about 125k on the truck. Sound like my rear is shot? Bearings maybe? I'm not much for knowing about rear ends, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
2 Marks
Professional
Default RE: Rear end question...

When my *** end went out at 60k (limited slip), it sounded like I was dragging my exhaust system down the highway. I pulled over, looked under the truck and saw nothing... I knew I had an expensive problem. I was doing my fuild changes every 25k versus 15kbut used the Mopar limited slip additive. If you are concerned, drop the pumkin, look for metal flakes via visual inspection, and then put new fluid and limited slip additive in. Good luck, my setback was several thousand.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
jisthangin01
Professional
Default RE: Rear end question...

Could the noise possibly be from a bearing? I have no leaks anywhere, and the fluid seems to be really clean. Looks like new oil when i put my finger in the access hole in the rear. Its up to level as well. Would a rear wheel bearing make a whine noise?

Quick Reply: Rear end question...