2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to find gear ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
yzf125
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to find gear ratio

Hey guys ! I am new here and i have a question for you, I am getting a rear end from a junk yard to replace mine. Mine has a gear ratio of 3.21 ( It says in my glove box ) The one from the junk yard isFrom the same model ( Short box V6 ) but is a few years older and is automatic.It does not have any idenification anywhere to show what rear end it has, How do i find out ? Thanks for any help !

Old 06-02-2007, 03:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: How to find gear ratio

there is (or was) a paper sticker on the drivers side axle tube with part number, gear ratio. it may be long gone. the only way to be sure is to rotate the yoke until the axle(wheel) makes one complete revolution. or vise versa. when you rotate the wheel one turn, if the yoke turns 3 1/2, then you have the 3.55. 3 1/4 is your 3.21.

now i may be right or wrong here. when doing the rotations, both wheels must be rotating equally. if not, then the spider gears transfer double rotation to the one turning wheel. i'm not sure if thats right or not, but in case i might be, watch out.

Quick Reply: How to find gear ratio