2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie Help Please - I'm trying to do this myself

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
DarkOmen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Help Please - I'm trying to do this myself

I've been able to do most work on my 5.2 ltr Automatic Trans. Dodge Ram 1500 (1999) myself, with the occasional assistance from my Haynes repair manual. However, I'm at a loss for this.

I need to change my crank position sensor. I've spent the last 3 days looking for it, but I can't find it. Where the heck is it? I don't care if it's a pain to get to, I'll do what's necessary, I just need to know where it's at.

Also if anyone has a photo of where to look I'll be most appreciative, but written instructions will be readily accepted as well.

I thank you so much for any help you can provide. I've just had a baby boy born, and I've got to save money and not take this to a mechanic if possible.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM
froesen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Help Please - I'm trying to do this myself

The crank pos sensor is located between the engine block and trans housing (it sees windows on the flywheel), on the passenger side, pretty much behind the head. there are 2 bolts holding it in from the top down, and a connector that crosses the back of the engine over to the distributor area.the bolts on my '98 were 1/2", but they also had allen key holes in the top if access works better with those. hope that helps!

Quick Reply: Newbie Help Please - I'm trying to do this myself