2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
addy4368
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum

How can i tell if the plenum gasket is going, i have a feeling its going because my truck seems to burn about 1-2 quarts of oil between oil changes, and my truck can spin the tires/ roast tthe tires and i only have 265/75/r16 all terrains. Any suggestions on what could be the problem??

Old 06-14-2007, 01:01 PM
yzf125
Default RE: Plenum

I would tend to think more the piston rings or valve seals are bad if you are having a oil consumption problem, Do you get blue smoke at start up ? or blue smoke on Deseleration ?

Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
addy4368

i sometimes notice i have a little puff of smoke on the start up, but it smokes randomly. The last time it smoked i was driving about 25 minutes then stop and shut it off for about 5 minutes then a little puff of smoke came out of the exhaust.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: yzf125

I would tend to think more the piston rings or valve seals are bad if you are having a oil consumption problem, Do you get blue smoke at start up ? or blue smoke on Deseleration ?
Not when the plenum gasket is bad.

Flip open the throttle body butterfly and peer down the bore with a flashlight. If there is a large pool of oil towards the back, then the gasket has been compromised. A thin film of oil is normal.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:46 PM
gottarottie

seems like there is a plenum forum on here every day. Yeah if the plenum is bad, you will use oil, by the time i was due for my next oil change i was never on the same oil i started with, that was how gone mine was. After i changed out the gasket not a drop gone. Don't bother getting a dealership to do it, get the plenum kit and if you need to, have some one put it in. The dealership gasket is some papery P.O.S that broke up in my hands. The hughes kit has a metal gasket that will never go again.

VWandDodge, has it right, if you take off your air box, and look down through the throttle body, you will see the plenum pan at the bottom there shouldn't be much of any oil there. There is also a method to check the plenum by using a pressure gage. But after changing mine out you could see it was gone just by looking down into the intake manifold.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
addy4368

flipped over the tb butterfly and i finally found out where all my oil is, i looked down and saw was black, the whole plate is filled with oil. I'm doing the plenum gasket ASAP

Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: addy4368

flipped over the tb butterfly and i finally found out where all my oil is, i looked down and saw was black, the whole plate is filled with oil. I'm doing the plenum gasket ASAP
Not to mention replacing the intake gasket set. Check around, as there are some threads here about the intake gasket set. Someone said to get the ones from Mopower(?) as the front/rear are made of rubber and not cork. I've installed the cork twice, and the rat bastart *STILL* leaks a bit of oil [:@]

Quick Reply: Plenum