2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine cuts out like all elect was turned off

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 02:46 PM
NightWolf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cuts out like all elect was turned off

I have a 95 Ram... 5.9 automatic 2 wheel drive.... I drive along and all of a sudden it is like i turned off the ignition.... It sometimes bounces on and off... other times I have to pull off... let it sit... then it will start for a bit and start acting up again.... I checked the codes and gets a 12, 45, and 37.... odd thing the 37 code is for a diesel application and I have a gas engine....
Any help would be appreciated

Bill

Old 09-26-2004, 03:23 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine cuts out like all elect was turned off

My 96 did that, but at I didn;t know how to check for codes at the time. It turned to be a bad fuse in the power distribution center next to the battery. It looked good, but checked bad with an ohmeter. Evidently had a broken connection in the area that isn't visible to the eye. It was one of the 40 amp fuses, either ignition or shutdown fuse. Hope this helps. Mine finally quit altogether.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:55 AM
RAMMED
Default RE: Engine cuts out like all elect was turned off

I have a 99 that did the exact same thing when it got hot. It would start after you waited for a while. It was the crank sensor that gave me the problem. It's located back near the firewall on the passenger side of the transmssion housing. If your shut down and can't start, try pouring some water back there and if the truck can start up right away, then you know where your problem lies.

Quick Reply: Engine cuts out like all elect was turned off