2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SERIOUS ISSUE!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERIOUS ISSUE!!

Ok so it's happened twice now. i've started the truck up and it shudders. for like a good five minutes or until i start moving. either forward or reverse doesn't matter. it only seems to do it when it's cold. the first time was my first day of my internship this summer. didn't really think too much about it. went away after about half way out the driveway. it did it again today. a week later. but in the evening on my way home.

i'm thinking it has something to do with the torque converterbut not entirely sure. it has been acting funny lately when cold. like having a hard time shifting from first to second.

any ideas would be really helpful. i'd be kinda stuck without the truck. being as i'm 1000 miles from "home" in BFE idaho falls. though there is a Ford Dodge Chrysler dealer here in town that kinda seems odd to me... dodge and ford in one shop. scary.

please if you've had it happen to you i do need your help.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SERIOUS ISSUE!!

tune up lately ?
plugs might be fouled and have to burn off. pull em and have a look ??
might try a big bottle or two of fuel injection cleaner. could be a little water in the gas and/or dirty injector.
vacuum leak ? any whistling, pinging
is the IAC working ? it should kick your idle up around 800-900 or so when cold, and down to 600 or so when warm.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:16 AM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks for the ideas.

a tune up was in the plans for this summer. as it has 55K miles on it plugs/cap/rotor that kind of thing probably an air filter in there too. coolant flush too. just changed the oil, it was in need of that.

i was getting some pinging awhile back coming over the hills and at high rpms.

it does kick the idle up aroun 1000 when just starting, but it's done that since i put my subs in. the battery is the stock one so i'm thinking a cap for the subs and a new battery might be a good place to start.

i'll check on the IAC might just need some cleaning. would some carb or brake cleaner work on that? i've never even looked at it.

cool thanks again.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:37 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the idle is kicking up to 1000 rpm when cold, then IAC is working so leave that alone.
if the battery is cranking the truck, then its working, so leave that alone too.

pinging is probably a blown plenum gasket. keep an eye on your oil to make sure sure it doesn't get low. burning oil can foul the plugs, so just keep an eye on it. pinging is bad, so use 89 octane if you have to. this repair is a big deal. so go slow. do a seach and read all about it. this might/might not be related to your cold idle shudder.

check plugs.
run some fuel injection cleaner
then maybe do a tune up. cap, rotor, wires are hard to get to.
keep it simple, see if it helps.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS ISSUE!!