2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:21 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight issue

So my low beams work fine. When I turn on my high beams my lights shut off completely. I can hold the switch back and the high beams turn on so I don't think its the bulbs. Do you guys think its my multi function switch or something else?

Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Headlight issue

I would say its the switch. Happened to my dads truck. His lights however also went out in the back of the truck. Do you have that problem also? I would say its the switch. My recomendation, find the best guy at the auto parts store, (we use napa for almost everything so they help us out a lot) whatever one will let you return electrical parts, and try that. The switch is like $70-$80 so if thats not it you will want to be able to return it. I know around here, almost all stores will not let you return electrical parts. But since we do so much buisness in napa, they take good care of us. I hope you have that kind of relationship w/ your parts guy. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:51 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

Forgot to mention. In order to get that switch out, you will need to buy a special screwdriver bit. I forgot what its called but it has something to do with a security thing. Maybe someone else can help me out on this one.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:02 PM
mrsweet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be a T20 security bit. It has a punch out in the center of it to fit the screw head.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

Thats what it is...i remember the security hole punched in it i just couldn't remember the size. Thanks mrsweet

Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

autozone and harbor tools have a set of the security torx for cheap, like $8-9. on the autozone set, while it did work it was a set of L shaped wrenches with std torx on the long side and security (hollow) on the short side. getting the screws out was real slow because the hollow set was on the short side and because of space i could only turn the screw about 1/4 or a round and then had to reposition and the damn screws were about 2 inchs long. tip.... replace the security torx screws with standard torx or allen head, they were 4mm by about 1 inch. i replaced my multifunction switch with one from autozone last year for $42.

Quick Reply: Headlight issue