2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dynatrac Free Spin Hub Kit...Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM
swirvin21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynatrac Free Spin Hub Kit...Need Advice!

Hey gents! Looking to do the Dynatrac free spin hub conversion kit on my 1998 Dodge 2500, but running into a bit of a snag. The kit only covers ABS from 2000 forward, I'm a 1998. Been thinking about the options: 1)Dyna custom D60 is $6-7K, 2)swap a 2000 or 2001 D60 & do the kit $4-5K, 3)find another axle to swap 4) find someway to make it work!

I think I can make it work, but I know very little about the 4 wheel ABS system on Dodges and what the differences are between a 1999 and a 2000. I'm think I'll either have to swap in a tone ring set off a 2000 or 2001, modify the mounting on my original set or other... Any ideas???

It may sound like a big waste of money, but I've already met 2 guys with this kit that jumped from 10mpg to 15mpg, plus they can rebuild, regrease and maintain their front end much better. I just don't do enough hard offroading to support spending 6g's on an axle. I run 35" tires, 4.10 gears on a small 2.5" lift. I don't plan on going much bigger and I don't have a diesel.....which I kick myself for constantly.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Sport SLT Laramie, 4whl ABS, Dana 60 Front w/ 4.10s, Super Chip, Front Road Armor Bumper, many small mods....

Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Dynatrac Free Spin Hub Kit...Need Advice!

Sounds like your on the right track. I dunno if you can really swap tone rings though. The ABS sensor is built into the hub/unit bearing. I'm pretty sure its the same for all 98-02s, theres probably a small difference though. Have you tried just putting it together and seeing what happens? Honestly I would just say to heck with ABS if you can't get it to work.

Hubs are way better then the CAD crap in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:07 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

My 1996 D60 I swapped in was an ABS axle, and the sensors were not built into the hub assembly, they bolted to the back side of the knuckle and the tone ring is pressed on to the axle shaft. I do know they changed to an integrated hub/abs sensor in 99 and later units though.

www.emsoffroad.com also sells the free spin hub kits (at 1/2 the price of the Dynatrac kits), and I believe they sell a 1998 ABS version, but check them out and see.

If you decide to use their non-ABS version, it would result in a ABS light on your dash, but your brakes would operate conventionally.

I think the claims of 5mpg are a bit optimistic though unless your talikng about pure highway milage.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:24 AM
swirvin21

Great info, thanks for the link!!! I'm not looking for additional mileage, but it's an added bonus if I get some. More or less I'm wanting some ease of maintenance, elimination of the axle disconnect and strength for my 35"s I'm running. Your rig looks good, really similar to mine. Just got vandalized though, so won't put up any pics until after I get her fixed up.

I'll let ya'll know if it works out. Their site shows the kit "in progress" which could mean anything from...no one has ordered it to we have no freaking clue!

Quick Reply: Dynatrac Free Spin Hub Kit...Need Advice!