2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding Sirius Radio To My 98

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Buck Nekkid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Sirius Radio To My 98

Howdy!

I've got a Sirius radio in my 06 Jeep Liberty--factory installed in the radio--and would like to add it to my Ram. Any suggestions on a unit that's decent, not too pricey, and is EZ to hook up? My Ram has the very nice AM/FM/CD/Cassette with the the joy stick, etc.

Thanks!

Buck Nekkid

Old 07-07-2007, 01:13 PM
nascarnut
Professional
Default RE: Adding Sirius Radio To My 98

I put a unit in my 96 and I found a clever way to mount the round antenna. Silicone it onto the lower driverside corner of the windshield and route the capbe down into the eingine bay and through the fire wall. Pretty easy to do, just takes some patience. The unit can mount pretty much anywhere as the dodge has alot of dash room. Hope you get it done and it works for ya

Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 PM
dnfd737
Veteran

I did mine with a newer unit. I do not know which model number it is I can post that later. Any way it transmits on a programable channel and I ran the antenna through the plastic down the drivers side dash under the plastic on the floor under the carpet and through the sliding window(I have a cap and dont ever open it any way) to the roof. I have not hard wired it yet still use the lighter plug. Any way I think it was in the $50 range last time I looked on ebay a year or two a go

Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I have one of the stand alone units that just uses an FM transmitter so its not actually hooked up to the head unit. I LOVE it.

Heres the only pic I have of it right now

Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 PM
gottarottie

i also use the fm tuner for mine, I have mine mounted to the left of the ash tray. I put my antenna under the dash on the drivers side, i had to slide it down as far as i could to get stalite reception in any direction. I have the sportster 2, i don't know what i would do without it. Unless your lazy you should be able to do the install yourself i put one into the wifes car, and my own with no problems at all. Routing the wires to look clean if about the most trouble you run into.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Buck Nekkid

Thanks compadres! This helps a lot. Any more suggestions like which unit to buy, etc. sure would be helpful.

Buck Nekkid

Old 07-08-2007, 02:54 PM
bigmanram
Amateur

The self contained xm tuners are great, and ive used sevral in the past and have one in the car. In my truck thoughim currenly runnin an xm ready cd player (pionneer 7700) and have a tuner box ( also pioneer) mounted under the seat.I ran the harness for the box and the antena under the carpet to up and under the seat. the i ran the antenea under the back plastic and out through 3rd break light opening in the cab.This set up is more expesive way of doing this ($250 for the cd player but u can get them for bout $120, and$100 for the box), but its worth the money. Personally i believe the sound quality is far supior than w the self contained units, but is also nice to be able to control everything through the cd player. The best part is even if ur looking into the truckpeople willnever even know its there.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depending on where you are and where you plan to go dont get XM, unless you like to hear stadic

XM uses one satalite in Geostationary orbit (meaning its always in the same place in relation to the earh over the equator) so the futher north you get the worse the quality, here in canada (i dont know about the US) they bounce the signal off of towers (like the ones for your cell phone) but it dosent work very well.

Sirius uses 3 satalites Geosynchronous orbit (they move in an indapendrnt orbit so there is always one above you) this is a lot better set up for pepole farther from the equator

Old 07-08-2007, 04:39 PM
froesen
Professional

ryans590, i live in canada also (northern manitoba, gillam) and having used both XM and sirius, i've had pretty decent luck with both. sirius DEFINITELY worked better though, no problems whatesoever, even in stormy/cloudy conditions with the antenna just sitting on the dash. XM required being a little more careful. As for the FM transmitters, i don't particularily like them....hardwired into the AUX in on my deck (not factory) it sounded quite a bit better IMO. I have a starmate 4 i think, it's great.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey another canuck cool, yah i live in northern bc, for me XM works good in town but get into the mountans and forget it, we also use to sell both at work, we have droped XM thow because of the problems

Quick Reply: Adding Sirius Radio To My 98