2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Classic Console Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic Console Questions

Hey guys. Sorry to bring this subject up again, but I could use a hand.

Last week, I went to close my sunglass holder and the tab broke. I decided I'd swing by the salvage yard and grab another. My truck doesn't have the cool compass and thermometer, so I thought I'd read about the conversion. It sounds like a bit of work. I went up to the salvage yard and looked around, but they didn't have a normal console for the newer interior (my truck is a 2000). They did have a very nice compass console though. The guy said $50 and I was happy to pay him as I've read they are around $400 from the dealer. My harness was of course different, so I took the old light sockets from my truck which were fine and place them in the new console. I tucked the sockets from the new computer back out of the way for later use. Now the compass is just sitting there looking pretty.

My question is where do I need to go next. I know that I will need to go back and retrieve the wiring harness for the computer console, but how could I tell if I have the location where I will need to plug it in on my ECU? I also know that I need the thermometer. I found the termometer on another donor truck, so I know that I can get that. Unfortunately, it's loomed in the main harness so I will have to do some disection. I tracked the harness from the console on the donor truck down the pillar to the top of the dash. I read that the dash will need to be removed or lowered to access the harness. How hard is it to remove the dash to gain access to the harness and remove it? I tried yanking on the donor truck to savagely remove it, but I would like to use more finess on my personal truck.

Above all, how much more do I have to do? Are the only other pieces I need the harness from the console to the ECU and the temperature probe and harness? And how can I tell if I have the access point to plug in the harness from the console to the ECU? I don't know if I will complete this project, but I think that I have the most expensive part of the conversion. Hopefully just wiring at this point.

Thanks for all the help and have a great weekend!

Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 PM
atcsat64
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Classic Console Questions

Same tab broke on mine, gonna fab a new piece myself, but curious to see how yours project goes...

Rusty

Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 AM
Rammin99
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow sounds like alot of work!! I was curious about doing the same, as mine didn't come with the temp guage, but it is appearing to sound to me like a bear to complete. As far as easing the dash off, I don't think you will destroy it by pulling on it hard. I always have someone help me and try to pull it off in one piece, less stress on the individual clips that way. PLEASE keep us posted, as I am very curious as to how this works out! If you can post any pics that would be really sweet!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out this topic https://dodgeforum.com/m_866964/tm.htmanother guy is askign the same thing and got an answer to it. good luck. im looking to do it as well so if you could tell us for sure how it is done that would be great.

Quick Reply: Classic Console Questions