2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help diagnosing Internal oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM
gottarottie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing Internal oil leak.

Well i thought i got the oil leak by doing my plenum and putting on the hughes kit, it definatly slowed the leak, so that was one partof a few i am guessing. But i am still seeing some leekage. There is no external leak that i can see, i have been through the motor a few times a week to look for external, and nothing. I haven't yet checked the Vin to see if mine falls into the recall for the oil filter fitting recall. But i wanted to ask some people to see if they can help me figure out if i need to go further into the motor to find the leak.

I forget if soiled plugs mean valve seal going, or piston rings?! What other tricks can i try to diagnose the problem without using a ODB reader or the dealer.

I am not blowing blue smoke "that i am aware of". I am no expert on magnums but i am handy enough to do the work myself, so if i could get some help on diagnosis i can get er done.

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Magnumpwr16
Veteran
Default RE: Help diagnosing Internal oil leak.

well, im not going to be any help, but i have the same exact problem. im fed up. my mechanic says that my problem is not the plenum, so with that ruled out, what the hell is it? im not burning blue smoke, not leaking, yet the engine is consuming 1qt. of oil every two weeks or so!!! so what's the deal? someone must know what this might be. i was also told about soiled plugs, cause of that being piston rings from what im told. anyway, hopefully someone'll respond that knows.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
froesen
Professional

That much oil is enough that you should notice a puddle if it's going to outside, but might not be enough that you'd notice it if burning it. you'd also have to look at all of your plugs to determine which one it is, another option is to do a leakdown test. If you're getting a puff of blue when you start it up, that typically indicates valve seals. I think that's my problem, although it's not bad enough to tell at this point. one things for sure; it'll get worse!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:44 PM
gottarottie

This is some information that i found on difficult oil leak diagnosis. I would have liked to post the PDF in text form but a can't find a converter that will work so i am going to type it by hand, bear with me here.

Subject:
Difficult oil leak diagnosis caused by oil seepage past the engine oil filter adapter plate gasket.

Overview
This bulletin involves the replacement of the engine oil filter adapter plate gasket

Models
1999 (AB) Ram Van
1999 (AN) Dakota
1999 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
1999 (DN) Durango

Note This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.9L or 5.2L Engine. Engines built by the mound road engine plate from Fed. 18, 1999 (julian Date 0499) To MAr. 26, 1999 (julian date 0899) May be effected

Symtom/Condition:
A condition may exist where oil seepage past the oil filter adapter plate gasket may result in an incorrect or difficult oil leak diagnosis. The oil seepage could possibly be misdiagnosed as a rear main oil seal leak, an engine pan gasket oil leak, an intake manifold rear seal leak, or an oil filter gasket oil leak.

Diagnosis:
1. Inspect the left (drivers side) engine valve cover for the engine bar code label. The label is white in color and is located on the front facing end of the valve cover.
2. Read the top line of numbers on the engine bar code label to determine if the engine in question falls on or within the julian dates of 049 an 085 of 199 (0499 to 0588).

The top line is in the following format TAYE2DDDCSSSSS
T =Traceability coding (only T is used)
A = Engine assemly code uniquely assigned by the engine plant (a through z)
y = Model year of engine (0 through 9)
EE = Engine plant code (E2 = mound road engine plant)
DDD = Julian year of build date (0 through 9)
SSSSS = Serial number (5 digits) from bar code label on back side of cyl. block

An emample would be TM9E2071998187, This would decode as a 5.2L AN/DN automatic engine (M), built for the 1999 model year (9) produced at the mound road engine plant (E2), on day 071 of calendar year 1999 (0719 = 3/12/99), with a block serial number of 98187. This example falls within the criteria of the above symptom.

3. Inspect the fron facing end of the right engine valvle cover for the presence of a small circular green label. The green label (dot) was installed on engines which have the new oil filter adapter plate gasket. There should be no need to replace these gaskets.
4. If the 3.9L or 5.2L engine build date is not present on or between the julian dates of 0499 and 0859, and a green circular label (dot) is not present on the front facing end of the right valve cover, then preform the repair procedure.
5. If still leaking, refer to the appropriate service manual for additional diagnosis.

Parts required:
1 - 53020461AB - Gasket, oil filter adapter plate
1 - 05281090 - Filter, Engine oil
(AR) 047611839 - Engine Oil

Repair Procedure:
1. Rais the vehicle on a sutable hoist
2. Remove the engine oil filter.
(The procedure goes from 2 to 5, so i don't know if 3,4 are missing or what?)
5. Remove the oil filter adapter plate gasket
6. Clean all adapter plate gasket surfaces.
7. Install the new oil filter adapter plate gasket (pn 53020461AB) , and retaning connector. Tighten the connection to 68Nm (50ft. Lbs.)
8. Install a new oil filter.
9. Lower vehicle and start the engine.
10. Stop the engine and add additional engine oil as required.
11. On the left engine vavle cover, place a sot of white paint immediatley above the engine bar code label.
-------

Just found it so i am going to see if mine falls under this, i don't know if this falls under different years, but try the info i found from here as a help. https://dodgeforum.com/m_873481/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing Internal oil leak.