2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I Need Help W/ Speakers!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Cowgirl4christ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help W/ Speakers!!

I just bought some new speakers to replace my stock ones in my 2000 Dodge Ram... I took the door panel off and got the speaker unhooked from all of the wires... But when I went to put on the new speaker, there was this black thing that fit on the stock speaker, however not on the new speaker. I know this sounds confusing, haha, but What is that black thing? It has about 6 wires running to it, also, what do I do about it???? PLEASE HELP if you know what I'm talking about!!
-Kristin-

Old 07-11-2007, 12:42 AM
nhlbill
Veteran
Default RE: I Need Help W/ Speakers!!

Your truck has the stock Infinity system and that black box is that speakers amp (part of your system). It is a nice system by itself, but many have had compatability problems with aftermarket speakers and head units because the system uses amps on each speaker.

I would change out your head unit too and turn your entire system back into something more conventional if it were me, but if you don't want to do that, I think there is a way to get your new speakers to work with your current system, but you'll have to wait until somebody posts up about how to do that, or do some searching.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont rember the colours anymore but there should be 2 wires from your stock deck, a power, ground then 2 that go to are power for the speker, those are the 2 u want i think, now ither you can pull your deck out find out what are the colours going into it test for power and ground then itll be the othet 2 wires you want, or wate untill somone who remembers the colours comes on, its been about 4 years since ive done it. however the best thing in my opinion would be to change out your head unit too

Old 07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Bigschwerm
Professional

if you go to a circuit city they have cheap adapters for installing aftermarket speakers.....no cutting of the stock wiring required just plug and play....

Old 07-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Glideman88
Professional

I replaced my speakers last winter.

I simply removed the Amp from the speaker (two small screws and spade connections) and plugged the Amp onto the new speaker, then used heavy-duty zip-ties to hold the Amp onto the new speaker.

Quick Reply: I Need Help W/ Speakers!!