2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007 | 02:14 PM
RamMan4x4
|
Rookie
Default Oil Pump

I'm going to be replacing my oil pan gasket in a couple of weeks (next oil change) and I was told I might as well replace my oil pump while I was there...which makes sense. I bought a high volume melling oil pump from Hughes, is there anything that I need to do during the install to prep the new pump other than lube it up a little? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2007 | 06:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Oil Pump

you'll probably need to move your oil pickup tube from the old pump and transfer to the new. make sure old pipe and screen is clean. i used a teflon thread sealer and put the pump in the vise to hold it so i could twist the pickup pipe around tight (or maybe vise-versa). you'll see what i mean once you have it apart. then fill the pump from the top with oil to prime it. then twist the shaft a few times to see it pump. my old pump did not have a gasket. new one did - so i used it. when installing just be gentle and make sure the drive rod goes in and lines up.

i replaced my rear seal around the crank also to stop oil leakage. that was nerve wracking because i had to loosen all the main brg caps and then retorque them. i figured i would do something wrong and the motor would blow up, but knock on wood it didn't yet and doesn't leak. first vehicle i ever had that doesn't leak oil.

nice how to.. http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/rearmain.php
i did not have to loosen the motor mounts or jack up the motor or drop the pipes. oil pan came out easy.
i don't know if you really have to remove the flex plate dust cover or not to get the pan off. i had to but that seems so stupid i wonder if i just didn't wiggle it right. to get cover off you have to remove the starter, which is even more stupid, and fairy hard to get at. long ext and 1/2" breaker bar required.

mine https://dodgeforum.com/m_735291/tm.htm

Old 07-18-2007 | 11:04 PM
RamMan4x4
|
Rookie
Default RE: Oil Pump

Thanks for the reply. Nice links and pictures (in links).

My rear seal has leaked a little ever since I bought the truck...now that I bought a commuter vehicle ('03 Jetta TDI = 45-50MPG average...no BS), I can actually afford to replace these high risk parts. I think I will take you advice and replace the rear seal while I'm down there.

Quick Reply: Oil Pump