2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best place to pick up a switched 12v source?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:48 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best place to pick up a switched 12v source?

ORIGINAL: ryans590

IMHO unless your putting in a ton of stuff the fise box is gonna make it more difficult, i dont see what you need so much power for. i dunno how many gagues your planning on putting in but i cant see them taking more than 20 amps tops, id run all the power wites together and hook them up to the relay, its only one conection into the fuse box whitch you can use a fuse tap for so you dont half to splice anything and will still keep everything looking neet.

now another thing a just noticed ( i was re reading this thread) the lights for the gauges you were talking about do you mean the back lights for them? cuz if so i would hook those power wires to the park wire on your headlight switch so that way the lights will only be on when the rest of your dash lights are on just a thought, a little extra work but may looke neeter
i see what your saying. I dont know diddily about wireing and electrical and whatnot so yall are gonna have to bare with me. So basicly your saying splice all the power wires together into one wire and hook that one power wire into my power source? As far as the fuse taps go (sorry for spelling fuse, f u z e), I cant find any taps for mini fuses, just normal fuses. Where would I get them?

I was just wireing the power and the ground for both the guage and the light to the same wire so that things didnt get crouded in the fuse box.

I plan on having 6 aftermarket guages, aside from my tach. They are probabily going to go in one at a time. How would I go about wireing them together(into the one wire), and then rewireing more and so on. I dont have any soddering tools or anything like that, so far iv just done crimp connections covered by electrical tape.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:32 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

i see what your saying. I dont know diddily about wireing and electrical and whatnot so yall are gonna have to bare with me. So basicly your saying splice all the power wires together into one wire and hook that one power wire into my power source? As far as the fuse taps go (sorry for spelling fuse, f u z e), I cant find any taps for mini fuses, just normal fuses. Where would I get them?
well i know a considerable amount about wireing so ill try and talk ya through it.

yah is what im saying is yo hook them all into one wire, it will need to be a bigger gauge wire (prob 12 ga wire) than the ones comming off your gauges. make sure you use a relay thow and hook the wire comming from the gauges to it do not hook it dirrectley to the fuse box or you will have problems

as for a fuse tap most any auto parts store should have one

here is a link http://www.picocanada.com/catalogue/959.asp
these are the best http://www.picocanada.com/catalogue/942.asp

oh and dont worry about spelling mine is worse im sure

I was just wireing the power and the ground for both the guage and the light to the same wire so that things didnt get crouded in the fuse box.
run all your power wires together and all your grounds together make sure you have a good ground spot thow

these are good connecters for conecting wires together in cab http://www.picocanada.com/catalogue/1565.asp get gel filed ones thow to prevent corrosion
also good for connecting many wires together in cab http://www.picocanada.com/catalogue/1166-4066.asp
outside of cab use solder and shrink tubeing

also i would keep the light and the power for the gauge seprate, hook the power for the lights to your park light circut even with 6 you will be fine to hook them up dirrectley the bulbs in them are tiny, so the same as the power for the gauges, have one wire comming off the park lights (pull out headlight switch find park light wire {i think its brown} then run that wire over to were your gauges are going to be then hook all the lights for the gauges to it

I plan on having 6 aftermarket guages, aside from my tach. They are probabily going to go in one at a time. How would I go about wireing them together(into the one wire), and then rewireing more and so on. I dont have any soddering tools or anything like that, so far iv just done crimp connections covered by electrical tape.
look at the links for the diffrent connecters, they cost a bit but make life so much easer

hope this helps

Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, I think im getting it. Ill update with the installs as they go along, and you can yell at me later and tell me im doing it wrong.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:20 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

haha *grabs a big stick* j/k

sounds good

Old 07-23-2007, 08:52 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

i wouldn't put them in one at a time. not that it cant be done, or it will be bad in anyway, but to make it easier on you, you should put them all in at once. It will make it easier cause then, like ryans590 said, you can put all the wires together easier. just my 2 cents tho.

Quick Reply: Best place to pick up a switched 12v source?