2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

50mm TB installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 04:10 PM
mopar crazy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 50mm TB installed

Finally recieved my 50m TB from Fastman this past week and installed it after work this morning. The installation was a breeze, pretty straight-forward. I havent really noticed any improvements yet but only had her out for about 40 miles so far. I just hope I reset the PCM correctly. I just disconnected the negative battery cable for a few minutes, then went and turn the ignition key to auxilery for 10 secs...then turned it off and reconnected the battery cable. I had to do it twice because when I noticed that the battery cable was on upside down I turned it around to normal and tightened it down. But forgot that the resaon it was on upside down was that when rightside up it didnt stay tight, I could wigggle the cable on the terminal. So i had to do the procedure again. Just hoping it worked. Have to wait and see once I get some more miles on her and see how she performs.

One thing I have noticed is that with the new TB i no loner hear that air sucking sound coming from my open round mopar air cleaner. I use to hear that thign suck air at mild acceleration but no more....just exhaust sound. Sound normal to you that have the same type of set-up?

With the mp3 Pioneer Premier radio I have, reconfiguring my settings took darn near close to 30 minutes. That thign has about 100 settings and options to mess with, next time I guess i'll write that stuff down.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Default RE: 50mm TB installed

Sounds about right. It'll still take a bit to learn, just not as long as not resetting the PCM.

Disconnect the battery a few more times and you'll have the stereo setting down in about 5 minutes. Believe me Iknow I should have wrote it down too, but no need now.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:04 AM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't they put a watch battery in those radios to save the settings?
Someone'sunhooking their battery for some reason.
Sorry 4 the threadjack.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:52 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

Thats not a bad idea wonder if you could hook like a 9volt battery onto the constant power cable i belive the yellow? wonder if that would save your settings who wants to try it? lemmy know how that TB works out for ya debating if i wanna put one on mine

Old 07-22-2007, 09:02 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are products like that on the market. It's basically a 9v battery that plugs into cigar lighter and keeps the radio memory.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:46 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

Well, another day of driving and another day of questioning whether I'm noticing anything or not, still only about 70 miles since the install. The only thing I've kinda noticed is that from a dead stop it seems to be responsive, meaning....ya touch the gas and there is no hesitation. I dont notice any performance once moving, if I stomp on it .....she goes but at the same pace as before. But with having stock rear gears with L285 's she will be sluggish until I change the rear gears I bet.

Dont ask about fuel mileage as I never kept track of it before, I just gased up and payed and drove off. When you've got trucks like ours it doesnt matter what kind of gas mileage we get, all that matters is that they keep buildign gas stations every few blocks.[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 07-26-2007, 05:55 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

I just sent Dan a email letting him know that I shipped my old stock tb and he should be recieving it in a few days. While I was replying to his original email I just now noticed that the title was titled 52mm. I am now wondering what Fastman tb I have installed in my truck. hehe I asked him to check my order form and see what I ordered. Maybe I goofed and ordered a 52mm by mistake. I dont think a 52mm on a 318ci would hirt the motor but maybe just suck a lot more gas than a 50mm would have. I'll have to wait and see what Dan says in his reply to my email.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered just last week and had the exact same subject header "52tb",thought maybe I put it in wrong on the order.I did catch it and emailed him back immediately to fix it.

Maybe Dan has a mix-up on his order site, dunno if it hadbeen updated recently, never saw the site pre-July update.

I was also a little confused on whether or not I should send him a core deposit personal check or not if I paid with a CC. Got confused reading through wewbsiteinfo. Haven't received the TByet, maybe that's why...

Old 07-27-2007, 11:28 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

BTW, what are you using as an AC/intake? Might help if you have something more open than the stock setup, but you should still see a gain w/ the 52mm even it that is overkill for the 318.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:30 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

a 52mm on a 318 would not have the benifit a 50mm would have. the 52 would show more top end performance whereas the 50 would be better for everyday driving. I had the 52 on my 5.9 and it was awesome. really liked italot. when I sold my truck I took it off and went back to the stock TB and man what a difference... My 1st thought was "damn, where'd the power go?"...

Quick Reply: 50mm TB installed