2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It all of a sudden doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 AM
drains
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It all of a sudden doesn't start

Hey Guys, my 97 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9L was working great one day and then the next day I go out to get in it and it simply doesn't start. Strong battery, good spark and I thought good fuel pressure. Through a process of elimination I speculated the fuel pump was weak though. So I changed it and it ran for a little while and now It simply just doesn't start again. I relize that I probably just put a pump in that didn't require it but I really don't want to just keep dumping money into this thing changing parts that aren't necessary. IT has good spark, good fuel pressure, Node light indicates that the injectors are recieiving the signal.......Any ideas?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: It all of a sudden doesn't start

Did you check the fuel pump AND the fuel filter? Could have a bad filter thats clogged. Also, when you say it doesn't start, is it turning over. Is the starter working? Im assuming, cause you said it started after the fuel pump was replaced, thats not the problem. But i would check the fuel filter next. good luck

Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also, welcome to DF[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 07-30-2007, 10:34 AM
drains

Fuel filter and fuel pressure regualtor are all apart of the fuel pump unit (which is in the tank) it was all replaced last friday. Truck has a strong starter still. everything seems to be in order except it just doesn't actually start. What about cam sensors and such.....I am told Dodge puts senors that tell the computer to do certain things....anybody know how to check 'em?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Are you throwing a CEL? Where are you checking the spark at? Have you tried to pour a little bit of fuel in the TB and see if it tries to start?

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM
drains

Please define CEL....novice at work here...I went "shade tree" style and shooved a long phillips screwdriver in the number one plug wire and held it against the exhaust maniflod. It sparked pretty good. I have shot some starting fluid in the TB but to no avail....

Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran

CEL = Check Engine Light

Old 07-30-2007, 02:43 PM
drains

No Engine light...and the only Trouble code I am getting is 12 which, I belevie, is indicating that the battery has been unplugged in the last 90 start ups which is true.....

Old 07-30-2007, 07:07 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

well.. fuel.. air.. compression and spark are what it takes for a vehicle to run.. process of elimination.. you said fuel pressure is ok.. step one .. solved
air.. DUH.. spark.. you said it had already.. might want to do a compression check.. the 'shade tree' style would be to take out the plugs stick ya finger in it.. and see if it blows ya finger back out.. not recomended tho.. go to the local parts store and get a 20.00 compression tester.. and if you didthe fuel pressure test 'shade tree' style.. that means you didnt use a guage.. just because theres fuel coming out when you have the line off the rail doesnt mean you have pressure..

Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 AM
drains

Thanks for all the friendly advise.....It has compression...and the fuel pressure check was actually done with a gage. It is running 40 psi which I believe the book I was reading indicated that it should be between 37-41psi. I attempted to run a fuel system cleaner through the fuel rack using the aerosol injector cleaner (the vehicle actually runs on the can until it runs out) thinking that will determine if the fuel filter/pump/regulator were all working. It didn't even run off that cleaner. So I am thinking it has to be something sensor related....any more guesses....I really don't want to have to take this thing in.

Quick Reply: It all of a sudden doesn't start