2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

AEM or K&N Cold Air Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 AM
bcdalton
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AEM or K&N Cold Air Intake??

I'm very happy with my AEM Brute Force Intake. The dry filter is also a plus.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just keep in mind with these hi-flo fliter like K&N, you are trading filtration for airflow.
An open element is ok, with a quality paper filter for filtration.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah that is a concern I have. I know on my neon I used to own, I had a AEM true cold air intake, so the filter sat about 8 inches off the ground behind the headlight and in front of the driver side front fender well protecter. So it was always sketchy driving around in the rain, hydrolock was always a concern for me as well as dirtier air getting in there so easily. I will say though that the gains were AMAZING, I mean, it was just a little 4 cylinder car, and the AEM gave it a lot of kick, it was awesome, so that's why I want to put a cold air intake so bad into this truck, because if it can boost a 4 banger, then I know it's going to do even better with a vehicle that already possesses tons of power stock. so with all your guys' help, I think I am going with the AEM Brute Force Intake, thanks everyone!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:13 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I've been running the K&N FIPKII system in my 2001 through the past two winters here in Minnesota and have not experienced any "cracking issues". I do have the upgraded housing which was designed to eliminate that problem so maybe thast is why.

BTW, I am looking to change over to one of the round Mopar Performance" filter setups, so if you are interested, I have a complete K&N FIPKII setup for sale for $175 shipped anywhere in the US. I don't have the installation instructions anymore, but can take close-up photo's of the installationfor you to work from. https://dodgeforum.com/m_912924/tm.htm

The filter could stand recharging (buy the kit at wal-mart), but otherwise it is in excellent condition.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
nascarnut
Professional

IMHO, The Aem looks better and does provide the dry filter which is nice. It looks so good under the hood. Let me see if I can find a pic of mine.

Old 08-02-2007, 03:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

That'd be awesome. My only question is why is the AEM rated 3hp lower than the k&n?? Wouldnt it be smarter to buy the k&n if it provides more horsepower? let me know guys!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I don't and wouldn't believe the gains they post.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Trashlord
Rookie

doesn't anyone like or have the AFE cai??? it uses the factory hole and is no more bulkier than the K&N and the bulk is more out of the way

Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
99Ram4x4

The factory only claims an increase of 11 horsepower and you guys say it is less?
I don't know what to think except the diffrence in my truck before and after installing it was night and day.
I have the 4x4 and it is a 13mpg behemoth.
I have only added three mods....exhaust,air intake, and programmer(just added this yesterday) and even before the programmer the truck drove like I had dropped a bigger engine in it.

I'd love to do a quarter mile run and compare it to a stock truck with my configuration and see the diffrence.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

If I had it to do over, I would have purchased an Airmax or AFE.
My K&N tube cracked (right in the middle of a longdusty trail). K&N replaced it, and I have noticed the heavier tube has cracked in the inside but it hasn't come through. I had terrible sealing problems until I got the heavier tube.
I also got rid of the space wasting baffling, it really didn't keep heat off the filter, and I could never keep the tube from rubbing on it. I replaced it with a stainless wrap around job from ebay.
Speaking of the filter, the one that came with the K&N is for sale. I replaced it with a larger unit from Spectre. That actually WOKE the intake and motor up. I could actually feel power instead of just air noise. BTW, I never noticed a mileage increase.

Of course, your results may vary...

Quick Reply: AEM or K&N Cold Air Intake??