2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C messing with the transmission's shift points?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C messing with the transmission's shift points?

Before I bought my 01 ram 1500, the transmission clearly needed to be addressed. The dealer took care of the issue, and basically rebuilt the transmission. I can still see where it has issues though. There are definately certain areas in the tranny where it just doesn't like to be pushed because it will either wine out, vibrate, or shift late. I don't know if this is due to the oversized tires that came with the truck (35" tires) or if its because the transmission is still fault. BUT anyways, to my point. I realized the transmission does pretty good when the air conditioning is off, but when i turn my a/c on, the truck kind of just prolongs the note of each gear, especially 2nd gear, and then finally shifts. I'll be holding the gas down and then what usually would be a shift in most automatic transmissions, is just kind of like this prolonged wining noise before it will finally drop into the next gear or kind of do a violent shuttering throughout the vehicle that screams "STOP HITTING THE GAS SO HARD", so then I'll kind of just ease off the gas until it recovers. I called my tranny shop up, and he was convinced it sounded like a bad valve body, so just wanted to get your take on this. Do you think the tires as big as they are, mess a lot with the shifting of the transmission, and if not, why do you think the transmission has a hard time someitmes shifting into the next gear, especially when the a/c is on?

Quick Reply: A/C messing with the transmission's shift points?