2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Short Ram VS Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Justchris202
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Ram VS Cold Air

Im looking into buying either a short ram intake or a cold air intake system.

Does anyone have any insight on the pros and cons of each system?

Or any recommendations on which way to go?

It doesn't flood much in my area, so i dont have to worry about hyrdo lock.

Also, does anyone have any experience with any exaust cut-out systems? As far as horse power gains, sound, or anything else.

Thanks
Chris

Old 08-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Short Ram VS Cold Air

14x3 open filter works very well and is easy to maintain and work on the engine. Cost is low for the performance gained. This setup is very good off the line due to no restrictions. On a r/c s/b 4x2 360 should giveclose to.3 seconds off 1/4mile ets.

GenII cai from K&N would not be as good and get about .20 -.25 off max. It will cost more and as Silver mentions in his thread make it hard to work on under hood and IMHO looks loopsided (ugly)
The genII works a bit better than an open element at highway speeds but wont keep up off the line. Sucking air threw a small diameter pipe costs hp so it wont perform as well till rolling 30mph roughly.

The ramairbox from ramairbox.com or the one Bigswherm has will out perform both the open element and genII by pretty well double the gains. Costs more, is a bit of a PITA to install and maintain. I liked the looks with twin 4" alum ducts to the bumper and on the highway a very noticeable mpg gain if you can stay out of the loud peddle. Well worth the money and aggravation IMHO is the best available if you want max performance. Off the line with the same filter I felt is was only slightly slower initially yet my 60' times were identical meaning by 30mph it overcame the loss and gave more than the open element did.
Very little will help your highway performance like the ramairbox will.

Over stock I figure the ramairbox is good for .5-.6 seconds (depending on mods)
When I removed it and added the Procharger supercharger my ets dropped by 1.3seconds (at much heavier weight) Sure the s/c more than double the performance gain but at a cost of 20x as much and its very restricted trying to workunder hood.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Justchris202

Do you know anything about FRAM boost air intake systems. I have a friend that swears that they are the best. im just trying to do my research before i put money down on anything.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing one on a Chev it just looks like your average cold air kit. Cone filters are not as efficient as a round filter, single tube so it wont flow as much as a ramairbox and with air being pulled from inside the engine compartment cant really even call it a cold air kit IMHO. May as well just buy an open element as long as your not in the deep south and pay 1/2 the price for the same or better performance thatthe Framkit would give.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Justchris202

ahhh i see, but i an in a very hot area in the summer. Im in dallas texas and summer heats are about usually at least 100 if not higher, but i really dont do that much day time driving more than about 10 to 15 miles or less. That MOPAR air filter setup seems really clean, but the heat element seems like it would be a problem and the ram air box seems complicated.

Im not trying to get my car race ready, just alittle more power for fun. Ive had my exaust for a while, and it sounds killer, ive never heard a dodge that can match it, but when it gets heavy, i knowi cant stand with them. I just want to be able to beat more than a POS car....... if u know what i mean.

Ive got headers on the way, but want a intake to go with it, but theres alot of choices and options and looks, Just trying to make the right choice

Quick Reply: Short Ram VS Cold Air