2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 PM
cdusthockey
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning brakes

today i noticed a burning smell and narrowed it down to my driver side rear brake. it seems like it is somewhat stuck and is heating up the drum and my wheel really bad. when i parked i could barely touch my wheel without getting burned. i have never used my emergency brake so i dont think that is the problem. just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and what they did. my last truck did the same thing and when i brought it in to get fixed it cost me 70 buck. basically looking for a cheap fix, mabye some parts.

thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 01:28 AM
atcsat64
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Burning brakes

I've had a wheel cylinder seize up on a differnt car, are you doing the work or having it done? Can you take the wheel and drum off and take a peek?

Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
kidvillain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Burning brakes

Sounds like whoever did the last brake job didnt adjust the rear shoes correctly...........are the shoes locked up against the drum? If so, use a big flat tip screwdriver and backoff the adjuster some.........I'd probably have the drum turned ($15) and put new shoes on ($25)............normally a wheel cylinder wont seize in the outward position, so I would probably leave it alone unless it is blown.......

Quick Reply: Burning brakes