2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight Switch.... possible relay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Switch.... possible relay?

Well my dad came home tonight and complained since I have been doing a bunch of mods, that what ever i have done is causing all sorts of problems. Well he came home and told me that while he was driving with his lights on, the turned off. He said he had to hit his four-ways real quick so he could see the road. Then i guess they turned back on. He said chech the fuse box, but if it was a fuse, it wouldnt come back on right? But hey ill check it. All of the lights work i guess after he turned them off, and then back on again. To me that would sound like a relay or something, and hopefully not the switch. It has rained the past two days, but then again, it never had a problem before when it rained. I know my friend has had the same problem before and never did anythign about it. so I am asking here to see if anyone else has experienced this before, and what they had done to fix it. bring on the suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
pcfixerpro

--EDIT--

2001 dodge ram 1500

Old 08-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain
Default RE: Headlight Switch.... possible relay?

https://dodgeforum.com/m_536937/tm.htm

https://dodgeforum.com/m_765051/tm.htm

I found a couple threads that may give you some ideas of things to check out.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
mikecjn
Professional

Only time I had that happen was when I hooked a set of fog lights directly in with my parking lights and didn't use a relay. It was heating up the switch and the lights would shut off intermittently while I was driving. Wired them the way they were supposed to be and problems went away.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:41 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Thanks guys, as always!

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 PM
duffy

I fully agree as I burned out the switch as well. I bought the truck used and the prior owner had them wired in. The switch gave out shortly after I got it. I pulled the fog lights and replaced the switch...back to normal and all is well.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:42 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Well, actually I talked to my dad again and he said they just turned off while driving, so he hit his 4 ways... and then like a second or two later, they came back on without him doing anything.... I went out, swap'd the light relay with the A/C relay (we almost never use the ac, its always windows down and suck it up. haha, i never knew what A/C was till i was 12 when we moved into a new house.) Anyway, next to the relays, there are light fuses, when i pulled them out, they almost seemed burnt. so i took some sand paper to the contacts to the ones that pertained to lighting, and checked the fuses inside the cab. All the spades are shiny again. I took the truck out tonight too see if i could replicate it and failed, moved the light switch and the high/low lever multiple times. This truck does not have the tow package, nor fog lights... It is as stripped as they come from factory. manual windows, manual locks... just a radio and a/c. Neither switches smelled of burnt electronics... I guess only time will tell. Thanks again everyone for there help

pcfixerpro

Quick Reply: Headlight Switch.... possible relay?