2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark plug question V10

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:26 PM
ClubMike
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug question V10

ok, I have tried every plug wrench I got, is there a special spark plug wrench you are supposed to use to get these darn things out? I feel foolish even asking this question, but i have tried everything I got.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional
Default RE: Spark plug question V10

fun job isn't it!?! You should be able to get all of theplugs with a standard plug ratchet (you might need some extensions), the rear 2 drivers side are removed from underneth and aren't fun.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My 2001 1500 plugstook a5/8"plug socket. Just make sure you get it all the way onto the plug; push it down into the rubber grommet. It's tough to see with the heat shields on.

I used a long extention for all of them, except for the two in the back on the driver's side. Use a shorty extension for that. Start the new plugs by hand, then take the rubber grommet out of the 5/8ths socketand and finish them off. Don't overtighten them or you might have a heck of a time getting them out next time. Some guys put high temp anti-seize on the threads, just don't get sloppy with it and get it down on the pin.

Changing the plugs isn't really that bad. Now the distributor cap, that's a nasty job on the back.

Update.... sorry Iforgot it was a V10, might be different than the V8. At least you don't have to worry about the distributor cap.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Hey, I havent been on here for a long time. I owend 2 V-10s at the same time, at the age of 21, gotta love the oil boom in alberta, ANYWays

I have changed plugs on both of my trucks, and to tell you the truth, they were actually pretty easy. For the driver side, remove the air cleaner lid and piping allowing you a bit more room to get down there. And yea it is a 5/8s spark plug socket, with a 3-4 inch extension. that worked good for me.

hope that helps you out a bit

Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 AM
ClubMike
Amateur

Thanks for the help, geez now I do feel like a noob. I will try again. I mean I have changed plugs on lots of vehicles over the years.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 PM
SilverMiner
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ClubMike

Thanks for the help, geez now I do feel like a noob. I will try again. I mean I have changed plugs on lots of vehicles over the years.

Thanks
ClubMike -

It was a GOOD question - no need to feel like a noob. I've owned my V10 for just short of a year now, and I've replaced spark plugs in many, many, engines and I was still glad to read this thread. The next time I go to replace the plugs I expect it will be just a tad easier by using what I've learned here.

SilverMiner

Old 08-25-2007, 05:33 PM
ClubMike
Amateur

ok, you guys are right, the 5/8 spark plug socket fit right on.

However; when I loosened or at least attempted to loosen the plug, yes it broke and left the threaded part stuck in the motor.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why oh why did I feel the need to pull the spark plug. I mean the truck runs pretty good. but the plugs have 71,000 on them and I wanted to look at one of them just to see if I should change them. I told my son to take my tools away from me and I am going to quit working on trucks.

But that wont help me fix the problem now. So I went down and bought a real big easy out and then I found out its pretty hard to get a socket to fit on the end of a easy out. But I finally got one to fit and I did manage to unscrew the broken the spark plug. But it was a hetic day. But since I did manage to get teh broken spark plug out and the new one installed, I am now thinking about replacing the other 9 plugs.

hmmmmmmm....maybe

after all the truck does run pretty good.

Quick Reply: Spark plug question V10