2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

B&G Flash

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: B&G Flash

I may do this one day.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:35 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

My understanding is thatgetting the crank sensor out is pretty much done blind, correct? Anybody know the exact size of the bolt head in mm?

I've also read complaints ofskinned knuckles, why not just wear gloves?
Skinned knuckles come from the limited area you have to work in. If you look at hte diagram I provided earlier you can tell exactly how it attaches and how to take it out. The bolts are somewhere between 12 and 14 mm, just use a box end wrench and check the 13mm first. Some guys go from underneath where they can see a litlle, but my truck is too tall and my arms too short for me to do that. I just pull my air cleaner, cover the throttle body with a rag,and lay a piece of plywood on top of my engine to lay on. Makes getting to the CPS, oil sending unit, and cap and rotor very easy.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

That is what I needed. I knew where the dang sensor was but I can't figure out how to get it out. I like you plywood across the engine idea. I probably try that tomarrow. Thanks

Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank God fo being 6'2" with long arms...

Old 08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

My truck is stock height, so for me it was much easier to reach up from underneath. I also have the stock cat removed and have a y-pipe there so that might giveme a little more space to reach up past the exhaust pipes. I've takenthe sensor out from the top and the bottom, it pretty much sucks either way.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: spaz_22

you send in your pcm with the mods that you have on your truck and they permantly flash your computer with that program. The program is specifically made for your mods. So if you continue to mod it will not work as well as before. This is why it is recommended to do the bg flash near the last of your mod list.
The flash is what it is. Dave will customize it for $, but 99% of people who send thier box up there get one of the three flashes that they list on thier site. In other words if you have a cai and get the M1 flash you will get the same thing as someone who orders the M1 flash hat has betterheads, a cam, M1 or modded intake, exhaust, etc. Once flashed, the pcm will adapt to whatever new mods you do. Just like the stock flash will, only your timing will be way more advanced and the fuel tables will be way more liberal.

On the other hand, Tom Foxwill take one of a bunchof base flashes that he has and tweak it here and there according to your mods.He is way more conservative on timing though. He will set it whatever you want, but he willtry to talkyou down if you go to high.

I have a Tom Fox box, and a B&G box. Tom Fox nailed the fuel delivery, but timing only makes it up to ~31*.After being reset, B&G's box takes a while to get the fuel maps right, but it gets up to~40* advance after 1800rpm. The B&G box is faster.

Tom Fox is a good guy to talk to, and will take the time to explain some of the parameters and how they interact. Things likehow your pcm retards your timing when your iat sensor has hot air going past it.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:36 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I forgot to mention- Anyone thinking of getting a flash right now may want to hold off for a bit. Apparently B&G has been working with SCT on new flash tuner software for our trucks. It is about time someone did this.
http://www.sctflash.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10417

Quick Reply: B&G Flash