2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who else has been through many power steering pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:49 PM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who else has been through many power steering pumps?

I jumped in my truck Friday night and it was whining loud. I knew it was the water pump. I didn't even try to go home, I just took it to the shop.

They called today and said, "Yep, a bad water pump. Not just that, the power steering pump is leaking out the fron shaft."

This was the same place I took it for the last power steering pump last summer. Luckily, they're replacing it for free. I talked with a buddy at work and he said that he's been through 4 PS pumps. Has anyone else had numerous problems with the PS pump? The shaft broke off my old one as did all of my buddy's four pumps. I knew that I was having issues because I was using a bottle of fluid a month. Hopefully this gets things squared away...

Old 08-20-2007, 06:47 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Who else has been through many power steering pumps?

i have been through the origional and now have a new Bosch PS pump. the only reason the origional broke was i had one hell of a load about 1 inch away form the bumpstops on a 2001 2500HD, and it was in my back lawn so the wheels really couldnt turn reguardless of the pumps strength, it was simply too much. Did you have a load or where you on dirt or grass?

Old 08-20-2007, 07:07 PM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who else has been through many power steering pumps?

No load whatsoever. The truck has only pulled a trailer one time and been off road once...and when I say off road, it was a soft level sand that I just drove through a job site in. This truck has NEVER been worked or abused. Just a daily driver and something to get me back and forth to school three times a year. We'll see how far this PS pump gets...

!

I just realized that the picture in my signature is the one time I had it off road. I needed a picture so I can show that it got dirty. Normally, I keep my wheels and tires all clean and my inner fenders armor alled and all shined up.

Quick Reply: Who else has been through many power steering pumps?