2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:16 AM
DJORDJE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans problem

Ijust bought 98 ram 1500 2wd 5.9 auto and was sitting for while.I got it up and running and have problem with trans at first only had 1 st gear.After driving little bit and shifting manualy i got 2 nd gear too and is shifting smoth 1 st ans 2 nd.changed oil and filter and still only 2 gears. took it to tranny shop and they told me i needed rebuild. Took truck home last night and was shifting all gears smooth and no problems.took it today for 1 hour long drive and isshifting all gears but when gets hot sometimes it would delay between 2 nd and 3 rd but shifts in 3 rd.Downshifts normaly but also had code come on today P1756 trans code.I am wrecking my brain out to what to do. I dont want to rebuld it if it doesnt need it.If anyone has any clue to what my problem could be please help.
Thank you in advance

Old 08-27-2007, 12:21 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Default RE: trans problem

sounds like a rebuild to me. i would just go ahead and drop a little more on a new tranny. there are a couple out there that are good. help me out here guys, bulletproof and dr. evil? hopefully someone will have the links...

Old 08-27-2007, 08:08 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan Arcand www.thefastman.comsells a complete transmission for 1700 with a 700 core deposit.

Have no idea what freight shipping is on that,buthe makes a darn good TB upgrade and knows theDodges inside and out.

Call him if you need to. He's one of the nicest guys in the world and will answer about any question you can think up.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you have driven it for awhile after it sat
it probably would be worth the time and $
to drop the trans pan,
examine what is in the bottom of the pan (magnetic metal, aluminum, grit?)
change the filter
refill with official Mopar ATF+4 (9602)
use an official Mopar pan gasket (leaks less)
and then drive it some more.

The delayed shift from 2nd-3rd
after the ATF has gotten fully warmed up
is probably a seal on the drum
that is loosing effectiveness as the outer lip wears off:

http://www.specialtytrans.com/specia...r_problems.htm

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I installed Dr. Evil performance "Pure evil" transmission awhile back and am loving it. $2300 for the new tranny, torque converter, and shipping was very reasonable. As he is part of Roadmaster Transmission out of Chicago, I am sure you could find a reasonably priced stock rebuild through them also. I've never had a more pleasurable, professional experience than I did with Billy of Roadmaster tranz. http://www.roadmastertranz.com/

Quick Reply: trans problem