2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can't find a search function... tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
El Pozzinator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can't find a search function... tranny question

hi all... i'm new here. i can't find the search function so i have to be a PITA for a minute.

i have a 97 SS/T (SLT, 2WD, 46RE, 3.55 non-SG, reg cab, SWB with the perf suspension, nifty 17s, and stripes). my rear end locked up on the highway at about 60 mph and caused all manner of havoc. the driveshaft twisted like a pretzel, ripped the tailshaft housing off the tranny, folded, and blew one of the tires. i'm told by the dealer that the truck has a 46RE tranny in it according to the VIN. it was sitting forover 4years while i was in the miltary and getting married, so i'm not surprised this has happened. the problem is that i don't know if i need to replace the whole tranny or just the tailshaft, i know i need new gears in the diff (finally! sure-grip, here i come) and a driveshaft, but i don't know about the tranny.

i've been told that the 518 is a direct replacement for the 46RE other than the fact that the 46RE is electronic controlled and the 518 is mechanical. i'm all for removing the involvement of computers as much as possible, but i'm wondering what kind of input you folks with more mopar experience have on this subject. should i look for a new tailshaft housing and rebuild my 46RE to handle the additional horsepower i plan on shoving thru it or would i be better off going for a built 518? i haven't found any 518's that'll handle over 500 horses. that'll be fine for the 360, but i have a 400 B motor in my basement that i'm putting 440 rotating assembly into for a 506 cube B motor and i'm shooting for 600 horses to the rear wheels (forced induction will be used on that motor).

at that point i'll be fine with a built 727, but for right now i DO NOT want to lose my overdrive as i still use the truck from time to time for long trips and don't want to break the bank on feeding the pig.

any input you folks would have here from tech advice to telling me i'm nuts would be appreciated.

thanks, cheers, and hello!
-mike

Old 08-27-2007, 05:58 PM
BLKbeast
Rookie
Default RE: can't find a search function... tranny question

not tryin to be a jerk, just helpin out

Old 08-27-2007, 06:08 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

to be honest, id have a tranny guy go through the tranny if i were you... theres no telling what shape the internals are in after an ordeal like that.. depends on what route you wanna go.. .iirc i spent 1400 on a brand new, revised 46RE at my local tranny shop.. you should talk to dan (aka The Fastman) about your future motor enedevours... he's running a dak with 1000HP and in the 8's ... http://www.thefastman.com/index.asp

hughes engines might be able to help too... they are pretty good mopar guys
http://www.hughesengines.com/

Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
El Pozzinator

BLKbeast... thanks ...i'm retarded.

shott... i'll look into that. much appreciated! a kadota in the 8's? wow. one of my buddies has one with a 468 and a 727 that runs low 11s. i thought THAT was FAST...

-mike

Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

.. yea .. go to the page i posted above, you can read alla bout it... feel free to email him, he's been making mopars go fast for a long time..

Old 08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
El Pozzinator

shott,
checked that fastman site... might pick up one of those 46RE trannies that he's got (especially since they're built for 700 hp... zoinks!). shot him an email and i'm waiting to hear back from him.

i'll keep ya posted.

oh, and from one vet to another... thanks for your service. i have three trips under my belt, two of 'em to the sandbox.

-mike

Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd recommend exchanging your broken transmission as a core on a rebuilt one. fastmann is a good choice. you may also have a good local shop. i'd stick with the 46re as the pcm knows how to control it, expects to control it, expects feedback, it has overdrive, etc. i think swapping it for something different is opening an unecessary can of worms for no benefit. a properly working 46re is a good thing. its just when they don't work right that they suck.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
El Pozzinator

that's what i was thinking... until i gut ALL the electronics, i think i'd like to not confuse the compy as much as possible. there's a few tranny shops around here, but stropes is about the only one with significant racing experience that i can find... unless my neighbor can come up with someone with experience bulletproofing eletronic overdrive trannies. i know one shop that i would've trusted a year ago, but he retired and sold the shop so now i'm ***-out of speed shops that have experience with electronics around here.

i've heard a LOT of horror stories about these 46RE trannies. my buddy has one behind the 318 in his dakota. well, actually, he's on his thrid in 60,000 miles.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:12 AM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

I purchased the "Pure Evil" tranny from Dr. Evil Performance transmissions out of Schaumburg Illinois and am extremely happy with it. Billy, the owner of the company, owns patents on many of the parts inside Dodge transmissions. He and his company also do a lot of testing for Raybestos on their transmission bands. He isthe most knowledgeable person I have ever talked to about transmissions. Here is the website http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/home.html. The 46re "Maximum Evil" tranny is probably what you are looking for. 847-524-4857 , is the phone number.

My Pure Evil tranny cost me about $2400 and that included the tranny, torque converter, enough Redline fluid for install and the 12,000 mile change, and shipping. Upon ordering I had the new tranny in Minneapolis in less than 7 days. So far I am very satisfied with his product.

Quick Reply: can't find a search function... tranny question