2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UPDATE: So what piece is this? FOUND IT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007 | 01:11 AM
heybuddy1901
Professional
Default RE: So what piece is this?

ORIGINAL: Quakindude

While letting the truck run, after warming it up, take a spray bottle of water and start heavily misting/spraying sections of the top of the engine. If you get a sudden bog or high idle, that will at least let you know the area you need to be looking in. I've used carb cleaner from a can in the past, but you always stand the risk of having a quick flash of flame if it combusts while spraying. But the advantage to using that is you get a very sudden high idle when you find the vacuum leak.
use propane.

little trick i learned in school

just have a propane wand and spray that over. itll have the same effect as carb-cleaner but wont flash or backfire.

Old 09-01-2007 | 09:56 AM
aim4squirrels
|
Legend

Dang, I was hoping it was that.still whistling

I've tried the water (with some soap)and couldn't find it, butI'll give it another go. Never heard of using propaneor carb cleaner before, but it sounds a little scary.Maybe I'll throw a hamburger onto the manifold while I'm in there.

I'm starting to wonder whether it'sin the enginecompartment at all any more,I can't get to happen in park revving the engine, only while I'm inthe cab driving.I have checked and double-checked just about everything I removedduring the plenum fix and can't find a thing wrong. I've replaced PCV tubing, BrakeVac tubing, TB gasket, reseated A/C multiple times, checked the other vac line that has all the extra lines with soap and water at every connection, checked the seal on my clean air breather. Can't find it. I even tried bleeding the fuel rail line on the hopes I had air in there.

I'll checkunder the map sensor that WayneC sentme and see ifthat isn't it.

Old 09-01-2007 | 12:20 PM
aim4squirrels
|
Legend

No Dice,

Probably just take it to the shop at this point.

Old 09-01-2007 | 04:28 PM
WayneC
Captain

Maybe that cap has been lying around forever. Where did you find it again? Also, whistle possibility from a poor gasket seal? Not what I would want to hear after that job, but...

Old 09-01-2007 | 07:27 PM
aim4squirrels
|
Legend

^^^^ That's the big fear.I'm really worried one of those little rubber end gaskets moved on me while lowering tothe manifold back in.I did check the front one visually and it looked good. It's the back one I'm worried about.

Somebody suggested some high temp black RTV, but I dont even know if I can really get back to that one in the back adequately to seal it up.

Here's what I got so far:
At about 1/8th throttle, it's at its most annoying point. Under or over that, (barely touching the pedal or about 1/4 way down to the floor) it goes away completely. That wouldn'tbe a vac leak would it?It sounds like a air flow problem into the manifold.After I open up the TB blades enough by pushing on the throttle, theair doesn't need to come thru theleak anymore because there is less resistance thru the TBblades. Is this a logical line of thought?

I'm going to take off the TB in a bit and clean the rubberpart on the IACthat goes into the TB and replace the TB gasket again. Also, is it possible I've somehow gotten too much play in theacceleratorpedal cableand it's not opening the TB blades enough at low RPMs? How would I know and how would I adjust that?

Old 09-02-2007 | 12:32 PM
WayneC
Captain

Play in the throttle cable) you should feel some slop in the pedal if it were too loose. Unless you deliberately moved something there, the only other way for it to be out of adjustment would be cable stretching. I'm sure the on-line manual lists an adjustment procedure though.
Vacuum leak) Your reasoning seems sound to me. At WOT there is less vac. so you would lose the noise at a leak with the throttle plates open. Also, for it to whistle as you describe, it seem to me if it is a vac. leak it must be really small. Seems a larger leak would have more of a hissing or rushing sound if any as well as causing driving/idling problems.
Try (briefly) running without the air filt. and housing in place and see if that makes any sound differences. You may also want to try a vacuum test at different throttle positions to see what kind of readings you're getting.
WC

Old 09-02-2007 | 02:29 PM
aim4squirrels
|
Legend

UPDATE,

Found it. Pretty sure it was the TB gasket,though I did takeoff the IAC motor and clean that gommet with lectric parts cleaner as well. TheTB gasket I bought was a cheapo one that didn't have much room to compress. Got aFel-Pro gasket and it was a little thicker. Cleaned thebottom of the TB and the mating surface on the intake manifold with brake parts cleaner, put the allen boltsback in and tightened them down criss cross and tookHer out for a spin.

Oh Yeah, the s-bolt thatI hadwasn'tquite "deep" enough to line up the top and bottom of the round Mopar AC so I bent a new one that seemed to make them mate up a little better. Maybe that helped the K&N filter line up and seal better.

As for that other part, God knows where that came from, it was lying in between the manifold and the valve cover when I was taking everything apart tochange out the plenum gasket.could be the protector to some mechanic'sprobe for all I know.

Thanks for everybody's help! Especially Wayne Cfor snapping pictures and running outside in the dark and rain with a flashlight to check outsome ridiculous theory I had. I owe you a beer.[sm=deal.gif]

Old 09-02-2007 | 04:48 PM
WayneC
Captain

Not a problem...that's what we're here for! Weekends, latenights, holidays. God, I have no life! haha
Glad you found it and didn't have to take the intake off again (not as glad as you tho).
Toldya it was that OTHER mechanic!
WC

Quick Reply: UPDATE: So what piece is this? FOUND IT!