2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My 1995 5.2 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:41 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1995 5.2 Ram 1500

I have asked for help a few times on this board already and you guys have responded, so I thought I would give back to the board a bit. I have corrected all the problems that my Ram had since I bought it used for 4 grand, and through the magic of the search feature if someone in the future retrieves this post and finds something usefull, well, it will be worth it to them and me.

Anyways, from the time of purchase my Ram shook badly at both idle and especially 45-50 mph (even more so in OD). I have taken it to about 10 different places, ranging from shade tree mechanics who are friends, to 1 man garages, to big well thought of garages to the stealership itself. I have heard all sorts of guesses as to what was causing the symptoms, including torque converter, internal engine damage, clogged cat, compression, mysterious vac leaks, plenum, egr or O2 and even evil spirits. I even replaced the engine with a 318 Jasper remanufactured engine thinking that it would solve the problem, and it didn't.

Last week I decided that I had left it to local mechanics and dealers enough. I have never really worked on cars, but I grew up mechanically inclined - I've just had an automotive fear complex cause they can be so expensive.

But something had to be done - and I was pretty much out of money by this time. There was a little oil in the plenum, but instead of letting someone else do it, I decided to handle it myself. That way I could clean everything up myself and inspect every part, even if I wasnt always sure what I was looking at.

Did all the steps that everyone has talked about in regards to plenum replacement. When I took the fuel rail off however, I made the discovery that you just cant rely on others to make for you. The gas that dripped out of the rail was burnt red. Gas, as well all know, isn't really rust colored. Checked the injectors. Each and every one on the top of the injector had heavy rust sitting there, clogging them. I managed to clean them all with seafoam, paper towels, an air compressor and a toothpick. (I realize if the injectors really get clogged, they can't be cleaned so easily, but the rust was coarse and large and just settled in the top so I was able to DIY).

While I was doing the rest I also found that the EGR port in the intake had apparently been plugged, and I changed the thermostat, stuff like that...

Started it up 2 days ago and it drove great. For a few minutes. As stated in another post, loaned it to my Dad for a couple minutes and it stopped running. Worked on it again yesterday and today and found the iac was gummed - and then found that the rotor had melted.

Fixed it today with new cap and rotor, and just minutes ago gave it its first big test on the freeway, and finally, after 5 months, thousands of dollars, hours of my time, being stranded 4 different times, having it towed 3 times - it ran like a new truck. Even the shutter at 45 mph, which had been diagnosed as TC problems by a very well thought of local transmission guy, has vanished into thin air.

I guess the moral of this long post (besides check the fuel rail) is that sometimes you have to dig in and trust yourself, all the while listening to those who have been there before for advice. But dont be afraid, and dont throw money at it - get your hands greasy and go to work.

Now its ready to mod, and I now feel comfortable that I can do it myself. Course I might ask yall for tips on installing duel exhaust, CAIs (or just use the search feature ), new suspension or whatever else...but the ratchet will be in my hand - and instead of monkeying around cause I have to, cause the truck wont get me from point A to B, I will be doing it because its fun; because I like it to run well, and I like it more when I can make it run even better with my own two hands.

Quick Reply: My 1995 5.2 Ram 1500