2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need to know about

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to know about

TPS...will a 2000 TPS work in my 1997? The reason i ask is Iwent to get a new TPS thinking it was bad (won't idle all the time) and when I got home from the parts store theends did not match soI went back to the parts store and the 2000 TPS looks more likethe one on my truck but I did not get it because I wanted to know if it will work with my PCM? Did the change the wiring harness or is there a reason they are different? (all info in my sig)

Brad

Old 09-04-2007, 10:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Need to know about

Standard Motor Products is a leading manufacturer of sensors. according to their web site, both the 97 and 00 use the exact same part number. TH-190.
http://www.smpcorp.com/web_app/catal...liccatalog.asp

the first one you bought was most likely opened, looked at, maybe bought/returned, and then put back in the wrong box. i'll bet if you opened up some more of them, they would be correct.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:50 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Thank You dhvaughan

Old 09-05-2007, 07:58 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're having problems at idle you might want to check the IAC (Idle air control) motor on the back of the TB. Pull it out and clean the carbon off of it with some carbcleaner ( I use lectric parts cleaner on all my sensors/sensitive parts), and then clean the reciever area on the TB.That might help you more.Ihad a little jumping in the RPM needle at idle and cleaning the IAC cleared it right up.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 AM
BradBeyer
Veteran

I actually bought a new IAC and cleaned the TB. I have been having this problem for a while now. When I let off the gas the RPM's will drop below 500 and I would say about 50% of the time it dies and does not catch itself to idle.

Iknow some of the problem is my plenum (I know it is bad).

Brad

Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM
wayneo360
Professional

ive had this problem too where my rpm's r jumping while im driving and when im in park or in drive with the brakes applied my rpm's just around from about 600 to 1000 and somebody told me that it is probably the TPS, but it stoped for a little bit and just started again and ive been meaning to change out the TPS but now that i read that all i might need to do is clean out my tb and the IAC and it could be fixed, do you all think that could be it or wat? im gonna try nd clean that stuff out soon tho.. thanks everybody

Old 09-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BradBeyer

I actually bought a new IAC and cleaned the TB. I have been having this problem for a while now. When I let off the gas the RPM's will drop below 500 and I would say about 50% of the time it dies and does not catch itself to idle.

Iknow some of the problem is my plenum (I know it is bad).

Brad
Check your evap purge solenoid. That will cause an idle problem if the hoses to/from it were removed and not connected properly, or the solenoid is not working properly.

Old 09-05-2007, 02:43 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran

VWandDodge where is the evap purge solenoid?

Brad