2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear wheel cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel cylinders

Ok so I heard that a good upgrade for the braking system was to install wheel cylinders from a 3500 into a 1500. Does that really work. I have 2001

Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Default RE: Rear wheel cylinders

Welcome to the site...not tryin to be a jerk, but do a forum search as there are several good write ups on here about that.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

ORIGINAL: dsertdog56

Welcome to the site...not tryin to be a jerk, but do a forum search as there are several good write ups on here about that.
I don't take that as being a jerk. I've been here long enought that I know how to use the search. I just often forget to. There is a ton of good info on thissite.I will do the search now thanks.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:14 PM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

Ok so I've done the search and I guess that brings m to my question. Will this mod work in a 2001. All of the post talk about a 98 or older. in 2000 there was a redesign of alot of the systems in the dodge. I know that the brakes are defintly differnt between an 01 and anything older then 99. So if anyone has done this in a 00 or 01 let me know please.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:47 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

not a 00 or 01 but i installed rear wheel cylinders from a 97 Chevy 3500 dually in my 97 Ram 1500, right away the braking was great, but after a few weeks it seemedlike the ABS adjusted for the difference and braking is just as pathetic as it ever was....

one of these days I need to pull the rear brakes apart again & see what's going on back there

Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably just need to adjust the rear brakes. The self adjusters don't work very well and your rear shoes probably aren't used to actually doing anything.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 AM
OlsenG_360
Professional

ORIGINAL: rabbler

You probably just need to adjust the rear brakes. The self adjusters don't work very well and your rear shoes probably aren't used to actually doing anything.
i was thinking along those lines as well, i adjusted them when i first installed the wheel cylinders & they were very tight, almost too tight for comfortable braking, so i backed them off a half turn or so...then they were ok

i'm wondering if the extra power from the wheel cylinder upgradewears out the rear shoes at a much faster rate...

Old 09-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Japoro

I don't think that there is all that much of difference between my 99 and your 2001. Unless you of course got disc brakes, but maybe someone who know alot more will chime in.

I put in the chevy 1 ton cylinders on my truck back in late June. I can't say how effective this one mod alone was as I changed out the front pads and rear shoe at the same time. But afterwards my truck went from near scary lack of braking power to being quite respectable. The issues with this mod is that it is not all that hard to chirp the rear tires when hitting the brakes quickly. You kind of have to learn how to apply the brakes again in normal driving conditions. And after two months, things have kind of worn in a bit, and I don't notice the rears locking up so much anymore.

I considered it a $20 experiment, that took just over an hour to do.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel cylinders