2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

How to change transfer case fluid

Old 09-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to change transfer case fluid

I like to take it out somehwere where I can put in 4x4, and run it a little, then go back home and check it. Sometimes i've had to add a little bit more after doing that.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:13 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like this could / should be put in the DIY section.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think instructions on how to do this would be great for the DIY section. If you would like me to do a short writeup just let me know.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:07 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Do you put anything on those threads when you put them things back in? Im gonna do my when I get home inOctober, but just wanted to make sure so it doesnt end upall leaking back out on me.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:44 AM
echseman
Professional

i would suggest anti seeze on the thread. my drain bolt is stuck in there, and the local shop screwed me and stripped the hex. so now i have to find a way to get it out. i tried j-b welding the hex in it, but that didn't work. does anyone have a part# for the drain bolt? or maybe a thread pitch and diameter so i could replace it with a standard bolt? thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
chet
Professional

you could use an easy out and take it to a local hardware store to match it up.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 AM
echseman
Professional

i was thinking of that, but the hardware store is a long walk away...

Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: echseman
i would suggest anti seeze on the thread. my drain bolt is stuck in there, and the local shop screwed me and stripped the hex. so now i have to find a way to get it out. i tried j-b welding the hex in it, but that didn't work. does anyone have a part# for the drain bolt? or maybe a thread pitch and diameter so i could replace it with a standard bolt? thanks!
its a tapered pipe plug, so you can use about anything. i used some liquid teflon, but you could also use a little rtv. the main thing is just don't overtighten it.

your shop did the same thing i did, used a 3/8" hex instead of a 10mm. i could tell mine didn't fit good, but it broke loose before anything bad happened.

once it strips, you might want to take a punch and knock/cut a slot/dent in the outer edge, and then tap on that dent and see if you can get it to turn. mine was aluminum, so its soft was candy.

to me its really a stupid design to have a recessed plug. why not have a standard hex or square pipe plug like on the front diff cover.

TIP - i thought of this only as i thought my fill plug was going to strip. REMOVE THE FILL PLUG FIRST. THEN THE DRAIN PLUG.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
grumpyoldman

Just to inform anyone who hasn't yet changed their transfer case fluid:

I changed the fluid out in my 231HD case today with a 10MM allen wrench, low profile pan I had laying around and a narrow walmart funnel--without removing the skid plate.

If you have a low profile plastic pan (like the type grocery stores use to sell 5+ lbs of meat in) you can rest it under the case, right on the skid plate. The funnel I used had about a 3" opening so there was just enough room.

Took 1 1/2 qts of ATF4. And like dhvaughan said, don't over tighten. My didn't start leaking until I was on the last thread, right before I pulled the plug out.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:57 AM
echseman
Professional

they did use a 10mm, but it was really jammed in there. the guys were vietnamese or somethig, so they didn't speak english very well. i have a set of easy-outs, but i will try and tap it free before i drill into it. thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to change transfer case fluid