2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cylinder 5 Misfire with CEL Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:53 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cylinder 5 Misfire with CEL Help

Greetings everyone I need help diagnosoing a cylinder 5 misfire. I've replaced spk plugs and wires, both O2 sensors, cap, and rotor. The 1st time it did it was last weekend and that's when I replaced the cap and rotor. This morning it did it again. I've been getting a rough idle during warm ups in the morning about a minute into the warm up and it lasts for about 30 - 45 secs then smoothes out. Some one suggested I replaced the O2 sensors which I did about 2 wks ago but it cont. however this is the first time my CEL came on. My trucks a 98 sport with the 5.9 ( see sig line at bottom ) and it has about 112500 miles all highway. I have the TB and IAC vavle cleaned with BG cleaner. Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:25 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Cylinder 5 Misfire with CEL Help

there is a TSB on the correct plug wire routing that is supposed to stop misfiring due to cross examination.
The important one for you is the 7 and 5 wire routing.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Old 09-15-2007, 12:37 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Thank you sir I will try it. Come to think about it I thought the spk plug wires were supposed to be together on the loom that secures them but from looking at the diagram on that link the middle one is supposed to be empty for a reason. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:57 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some good wires and you will not have to worry about it.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Routing those wires as per the TSB is a PITA.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:14 PM
mcss8541
All Star

The fact that I am asking for help should inform you that I am intelligent, the fact that I knew how to diagnos the problem should further inform you that I know something about vehicles, I'll leave out the fact that I have 2 Bachelor's degree and a Master's and attending med school. So it would be easy to assert that I have good wires......no I have excellent wireson the truck. However the info the gentleman sent worked out excellent. The minute I followed the wire rerouting schematic I had no problems.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcss8541

The fact that I am asking for help should inform you that I am intelligent, the fact that I knew how to diagnos the problem should further inform you that I know something about vehicles, I'll leave out the fact that I have 2 Bachelor's degree and a Master's and attending med school. So it would be easy to assert that I have good wires......no I have excellent wireson the truck. However the info the gentleman sent worked out excellent. The minute I followed the wire rerouting schematic I had no problems.
Dude, I've known people so damned smart it's a wonder they don't break thier own arm trying to wipe their butt.

In any event, bless your pointed little head!

Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcss8541

I was not trying toimply that your are stupid. All I was saying is that,with a quality aftermarket set of wires, routing is not as crucial. IMO that tsb equates to DC pulling timing out of the pcm because they didn't want to spend a couple of extra bucks per unit to put a decent gasket on the intake plenum.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Thank God for "pointed head " Marines like my self to keep this country free for (whatever shape your head should be) and for " pointed head " med students like myself for delivering such awesome Dodge Truck guru's like yourself. I'll take being pointed head that's cool, after it's your opinion and that's your right....hell that's what I fought for and I'm glad to see all the hard work, shrapnel and round I took hard at work.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:59 PM
mcss8541
All Star

Roger That! I installed the JBA wireset. I was told they were pretty good by the4 Wheel Parts rep. Was I shafted? Do I need a different set? And what would do that, I mean I read your comment but as the previous gentleman stated I'm so smart I couldn't do something to my own butt.......what's the facination there with butts I'm thinking of Freud maybe hhmmmm!

Quick Reply: Cylinder 5 Misfire with CEL Help