2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Really need vacuum help?! Rough idle and back firing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 06:51 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Revised:RE: Really need vacuum help?! Rough idle and back firing.

Good luck.
That code 37 is a very common thing that apprears to be a mistake in the PCM because the 1500 Ram does not even have that trans temp sensor....but there is a wire and plug hanging down there empty. I have even tried to clear that 37 code by purchasing the 2500 Ram's trans temp sensor and plugging it in, but the code does not go away and the PCM does not read the newly installed sensor.

If you had a trouble code for the PCM
I guess I can't fault the dealership from wanting to change it
but they still ought to promise to refund the money
if a new PCM does not solve the problem.

Another option is to purchase a Mopar Performance PCM for a 1994-1995 1500 off eBay or Craigslist and swap it in to see if the problem is solved. The advantage of this is that you can usually re-sell the MP-PCM for about what you paid for it.

You are certainly correct to suspect the past installation of the remote starter.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:26 PM
RAYZOR1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having the same problems with my 01 1500 4x4 QC. what happened? did the pcm replacement fix the problem?

Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 PM
kitchenrat1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, Finally got the thing back from the STEALER. New pcm and all. Been driving for two weeks. So far so good. And as far as the dealer helping to offset the costs. They only agreed to give me a VIP 10% off the final repair and not do anything about the past repairs that did not fix the problem I went there for in the first place. Maybe I'm soft because I agree that the things they repaired did need fixing but they were not causing the problem. Either way it works and has a few newer parts than I intended to have installed which is not altogether bad. Seriously it is a project in the works anyway. So to anyone having this problem I don't think I can offer any clear advice as to how to fix this problem because replacing the pcm is the ultimate repair for a sensor/electrical problem.
[align=center] [/align]

Quick Reply: Really need vacuum help?! Rough idle and back firing.