2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any Thoughts on this auto tailgate device??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:15 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thoughts on this auto tailgate device??

http://www.droptail.com/aerodynamics.htm

Its pritty trick. I like the idea of using the tailgate like a spoiler. If nothing else, it would be pritty cool for showing off.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any Thoughts on this auto tailgate device??

i say: good for drag racing bad for driving normal, i have always been tought that tailgate down equals drag, which equals no mpg. tailgate up equals air bubble or pocket in the bed, which equals good mpg, however that could be oil company pay off

if you get it let us know, good luck

Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah but is the gain more than removing the tailgate altogether for weight?

I agree it looks badassed, and I'd probably end up following the guy that had it just to watch it open and close, but what's the cost on that VS. any precievable gains? How quick is that thing gonna wear out opening and closing all the time.

The video at the bottom of the page sure sounded like a bad hard-sell. Increased reverse visibility,dropping the gate for 5th wheel hook up,help with groceries... doesn't sound like they've got much to stand on.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Yeah but is the gain more than removing the tailgate altogether for weight?

I agree it looks badassed, and I'd probably end up following the guy that had it just to watch it open and close, but what's the cost on that VS. any precievable gains? How quick is that thing gonna wear out opening and closing all the time.

The video at the bottom of the page sure sounded like a bad hard-sell. Increased reverse visibility,dropping the gate for 5th wheel hook up,help with groceries... doesn't sound like they've got much to stand on.
+1 all arround.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:04 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree it does look awesome, but how does it really perform...

Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

i think its about queer as a 3$$ bill... what happens when the hydraulics fail.. cant use it at all? .. when i hit the road.. and that trooper behind me sees my tailgate coming down.. here come the blue lights 'excuse me sir.. do you know your tailgate has a mind of its own?" i cant see that workin out for me at all... and yea.. that streamer test.. big whoopie.. theres a bubble in the truck with it UP .. of course they will go the other way when you RELEASE the btbble.. and let the air flor thru the bed.. all your doing is changing the path of the air going over / thru the truck.. looks to be a waiste of money.. and its a TRUCK .. not a minivan that does 100mph in 35 second.. we dont need an automatic hatch

Old 09-18-2007, 08:58 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: dishdude2k

its a TRUCK .. not a minivan that does 100mph in 35 second.. we dont need an automatic hatch

AHAHAHAHA!

Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think its acool gadget. But I think unless your going to be racing your truckover 80mph. constantly it would be a waste of money. But there are those so like show trucks even though it willNEVER be used as a truck. I would rather put that money aside for something that accualy makes the truck faster or something thing else. It will increase drag but not improve gas milage like that video said. I saw a mythbusters where they proved it will waste more gas to have it down.

Quick Reply: Any Thoughts on this auto tailgate device??