2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!...low beams not working...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Greg R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!...low beams not working...

Hello all.....I have a 2001 (Canadian) Ram 2500 Diesel. The low beam head lights are not working. The daytime running lights work, hi beams work, and fog lights work fine. Last week after 10 miles of logging, the low beams started working again, but not anymore. Sometimes flicking the hi-beam on and off would make the low beams work, but not now. The bulbs and the switch are fine. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Greg

Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM
harlow00
Default RE: Help!...low beams not working...

I just started having the same problem with my 2002 Ram 2500, and was searching on here looking for the same help before I started following wire after wire. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Greg R

I'll let you know if I figure it out...please do the same for me.

Greg

Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

I would check to see if they are sitting in the housing properly, slight vibrations could cause them to pop out and "wobble" around and movement of the wire might make a bad connection in a certain position. It happened on my Indy ram, I doubt that is the problem but you might as well check it out.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:57 PM
harlow00

I think I traced my problem back to the Multi Function Switch on the steering column, because when I finally got the low beams to come on, I could turn them on and off with the dash switch with no problem, but when I cycled between high and low beam with the Multi Function switch, they only came on about 30% of the time. So I'm going to rip the column apart tomarrow and ohm out the connector, the manual says pins 18 and 19.
Also try looking at the back of the dash switch, mine had alittle corrosion.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: harlow00

I think I traced my problem back to the Multi Function Switch on the steering column, because when I finally got the low beams to come on, I could turn them on and off with the dash switch with no problem, but when I cycled between high and low beam with the Multi Function switch, they only came on about 30% of the time. So I'm going to rip the column apart tomarrow and ohm out the connector, the manual says pins 18 and 19.
Also try looking at the back of the dash switch, mine had alittle corrosion.
Make sure the air bag is disabled.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM
harlow00

Thanks for the reminder, the way my luck has been the past month I would have set it off

Old 09-27-2007, 07:12 PM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: harlow00

Thanks for the reminder, the way my luck has been the past month I would have set it off
Not a problem, last thing I want to see is one of the members of our community get injured/killed because of something simple like that.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Greg R

Fixed mine just now......searched deeper on this site and found the answer (at least for my truck). Take apart the covers between the steering wheel and the dash, on the drivers side of the columnyou'll see the big blue connector that all the wires run into.....there's a cover over it that snaps off.....the connector is held on by a bolt/screw, removed that and unplugged the connector.....checked all the wires.......the purple and white one was out.....pushed it back in and squeezed the end of the connector tight onto the wire with my small needle nose pliers.....put it all together..FIXED!!

Hope this helps....

Greg

Old 09-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Greg R

They say this can be caused by using the tilt column .when you tilt the wheel all the way up, it pulls on the wires...not enough slack in the wiring harness.

Greg

Quick Reply: Help!...low beams not working...