2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low engine speed, high load problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 05:49 PM
Sirhilton17
|
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Low engine speed, high load problem

Ever since I bought my truck, if the tranny goes into od with the TC locked, and I go up a hill or try to accelerate without the trans downshifting I feel this little surge like feeling... like a little bit of a miss or somthing.
Today when I was on the highway I took it easy getting up to speed casue there was no traffic and it hit od, with the TC locked at about 60mph... and it just started surgeing but the motor sounds great, and this is not pinging.
As soon as I just tap the gas slightly to get the TC unlocked its gone and the truck runs perfect... I tryed to get it to do it again today but I couldnot.

This may sound stupid, and may be an obvious answer... My spark plug wires are origional and maybe they are not working properly anymore (90,000 miles 8 year old truck) I know this is not right, and I will be replaceing them. Does this sound like it may be what the problem is?

I have also herd somthing like this happening with a bad TPS, that is also stock on the truck... should I replace that? how much to they usually run?

Also, when the truck does this there is no sound difference in the engine, exhasut or any sound... and there is no black smoke or anything coming from the pipes...

Any ideas?

Old 09-29-2007 | 07:36 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Low engine speed, high load problem

Don't do the TPS without testing the existing one 1st. But, that could be some of the problem. Could also be a worn/stretche cable from the Throttle body to the tranny; too tight would give you early shifts,while too loose would give a late shift or if bad enough, no shift.
Also, it's time for wires,cap, etc.
Bud

Old 09-29-2007 | 07:38 PM
Sirhilton17
|
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the dist. cap, plugs at like 70,000 miles... so they should be fine.

Its not a matter of the tranny shifting too early, its in the engine.. but good idea...

I think I will throw in some new wires and see if that helps anything.

Old 09-29-2007 | 10:45 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Intermittent misfiresdue to bad wires usually occur under load or wet/humid conditions.
Check the ends of your wires for any corrosion when you change them. You might have to clean/replace dist cap, plugs, or coil if you find any.

Quick Reply: Low engine speed, high load problem