2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Steering adjustments

2 things I'd like to change...

1.) There's a little bit of slop in my wheel, is there anyway I can tighten that up. If not no biggie, it's not too bad.

2.) How can I adjust the maximum turn. My tires rub the control arms at full lock, so I want to adjust it back it so it doesn't turn quite that far. That way if someone locks the wheel it won't rub.

Anyone know how to do this stuff?

Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Steering adjustments

First make sure all your linkages are tight and the u-joints on your steering shaft are tight.
Then you can try adjusting the pitman shaft on your steering box. On the top of the box you will see a stubby (1/2) shaft with a lock nut. loosen the lock nut and wind in the center shaft a bit. then tighten down the lock nut while you hold the center shaft still. Don't go crazy here only adjust the center shaft about 1/2 a turn at a time the re check how it feels. You do need some clearance or the box will bind. only do this with the wheels straight ahead.

There are steering stops screwed into each knuckle. they are basically just bolts with a nut welded to them. Depending on how much you need to adjust you can get longer bolts and replace the ones there are screw in the knuckles. Or you can unscrew the ones that are there and just put a washer behind them if you only need a bit of adjustment.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd loosen that center nut and then retighten it down until you hit resistance, then back off a half turn. That's about as tight as you can adjust the steering and the half turn off will give you the slack you need to keep the box from binding.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had slop in my wheel turn out to be the trac bar

Old 10-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That would make sense, mine is slightly bent.

Quick Reply: Steering adjustments