2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

maybe a bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default maybe a bad starter?

ok its happened more than twice now so i am asking for ideas.....i go to start my truck and i turn the key forward and nothing it stumps like a dead battery my battery is new and so are the cables and post ends....i then reset my key and turn it again and it happens again.... then we retry again and vrooooom it starts kinda weird sometimes i only have to reset key once but twice now ive had to do it twice....everthing looks good appearance wise anyone experienced this on there truck at all.......j

Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
CopperDesigno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: maybe a bad starter?

Any alarms on the truck? Had something like this happen to two friends. One had 3 alarms on the used camaro I-Roc he bought, the alarms were a mess, he knew about two of them, the thrid is what caused his issues. The other friend had his alarm's "brain" go bad and it got moody, it would only start when it wanted, but it controled the auto door locks so it would unlock the doors whenever, sound the alarm, do all crazy stuff.

Hope this helps

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
apiske148

yea have the same prob with my toyota it has a remote start which ties into the ignition wires and a connection came loose so its very random about its starts, i would check your ignition wires first then move onto starter wires, and grounds...

Old 10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
minnesotamopar
Rookie

I've had numerous starter solenoids go bad on me, and this is what happens.

The solenoids get a bad spot or something, or catch, and don't engage, and then no power gets sent to the motor. Sounds like a dead battery but isn't.

To test this theory, climb under your vehicle with a hammer and whack the starter motor case 4 or 5 times when it's having a temper tantrum. If it starts after this you've found the problem, or inadvertantly tightened some connections with the hammer blows.

Thing is, you can't replace the solenoid, it's integral at least in all the Mopar vehicles I've had recently.

Pep Boys had the cheapest one last time I did the job--It was about $65.00 and took all of 20 minutes to swap.

--Matt

Old 10-02-2007, 05:12 PM
tazman6789
Veteran

my gmc did the same thing, at first was a loose wire on the starter sylenoid, fixed that then the sylenoid when bad, take it to autozone they maybe able to test it for you... not all autozones have the equipment tho.... or just replace it and hope thats it lol

Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you getting a click when you turn the key or just nothing. If nothing, swap out the automatic shut down (ASD) relay and see if that changes things.
WC

Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

there was a TSB about bad ignition switch wiring on these trucks....
dont remember exact years it affected.
i know mine is in the category...
will look into it

Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

I had a bad ground connection that gave me the same problem. It was a ground cable running down from the batteryto a bumper bracket.Unboltedit and cleaned up theend to make sure there was a good connectionand it hasn't happened since.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well its got an alarm im guessing stock cause i got new remotes from dodge once in a while i have to mess with some wires behind the kick panel (driver side) because the locks wont work from the remote or switches its a loose wire i just push it together and my locks work again maybe its stemming from this? its all weird .....j

Quick Reply: maybe a bad starter?