2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Press on or bolt on pulley matter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Press on or bolt on pulley matter?

Um...I bought a water pump that has a press on pulley, but I have a bolt on style, does it really matter, because it has the pulley on it already? Its probabily less parasitic drag because its lighter maybe

Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Press on or bolt on pulley matter?

Mine on my 2001 isa press on. I've taken the fanand cutch off completely (running electric fans) and haven't had any issues yet. It scared the bejesus out of me at first because it looked like nothing was holding the pulley on. I didn't want to crank the engine only to find out that the fan clutch nut held the pulley on. I dont think the boltless pumpmattersso long asthe nutsdon't hold your fan on as well.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:14 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

Mine on my 2001 isa press on. I've taken the fanand cutch off completely (running electric fans) and haven't had any issues yet. It scared the bejesus out of me at first because it looked like nothing was holding the pulley on. I didn't want to crank the engine only to find out that the fan clutch nut held the pulley on. I dont think the boltless pumpmattersso long asthe nutsdon't hold your fan on as well.
yea, its the center nut thing. The pulley still has 4 holes for some reason, though Idk what they are for. Its where the bolts would go if it were a bolt on. I guess im gonna put streamers on there

Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, mine has 4 bolt holes as well, they're empty, always have been, guess they didn't feel the need to design a new pulley.

I suggest sparklers instead of streamers, just a personal preference .

Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The empty holes are there so that you can hold the water pump pulley still so you can remover the clutch fan assy (need special tool of course)
It's a newer style pump. OEM made the change around 2000 I think. Probably cost less...

Quick Reply: Press on or bolt on pulley matter?