2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end braking and vibration problem, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Koldkut
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end braking and vibration problem, help!

I've had a minor intermitent vibration in the rear of the vehicle and I'm not real sure where it is comming from. Its not related to the gas pedal, on the gass or off the gas, sometimes its there and sometimes not. I have a 99, 5.2l 4x4 5 speed. Sometimes it starts and I can surge the gas pedal and it will go away. Others when I come to a stop it will start when I apply my brakes. It feels like an out of balance tire, but its not consistent in when it happens. I am taking the wheels and drums off tomorrow to check the wheel bearings as stated in the haynes manual. I have also checked the u-joints, they are all good and tight. Any thoughts?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:04 AM
nhlbill
Veteran
Default RE: rear end braking and vibration problem, help!

Well, you can check to see if the problem is in your rear brakes very easily. Get going 45-50mph and with one hand holding the release for the e-brake, apply the e-brake but not your main brake pedal.

If your vibration is present during this test, you have possibly warped drums.

I used to say with 100% certainty that you would have warped drums, butI recently got mine to do the same thing so I took the drums in and had them turned and it still did it. After checking around, I found that my axle U-bolts were loose enough to get 2 turns out of each nut. After tightening them, the vibration went away immediately, so there are no absolutes. I would however bet big money that if your vibration is present during this e-brake test, your drums are warped and need to be resurfaced/turned.

Good luck with it.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Koldkut
Rookie

ORIGINAL: nhlbill

Well, you can check to see if the problem is in your rear brakes very easily. Get going 45-50mph and with one hand holding the release for the e-brake, apply the e-brake but not your main brake pedal.

If your vibration is present during this test, you have possibly warped drums.

I used to say with 100% certainty that you would have warped drums, butI recently got mine to do the same thing so I took the drums in and had them turned and it still did it. After checking around, I found that my axle U-bolts were loose enough to get 2 turns out of each nut. After tightening them, the vibration went away immediately, so there are no absolutes. I would however bet big money that if your vibration is present during this e-brake test, your drums are warped and need to be resurfaced/turned.

Good luck with it.

I would never have thought that you could warp drums, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how that works out tonight after I test that and my wheel bearings.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:12 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Hunter Balancing Center:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

can not only balance the tire/wheel
but if you get a well-trainned technician who knows how to do it,
it can also mount the brake drums and balance them too.

5 Star Dodge Dealerships are required to own a Hunter GSP9700
but they call it by the Chrysler-given name.

The problem is that it is a complicated machine
and trainned operators are in high demand by independent tire shops
who 'poach' them from dealerships.

Quick Reply: rear end braking and vibration problem, help!