2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'95 5.9L Ram --- A/C fuse keeps blowing

Old 10-10-2007, 04:22 PM
gkemm12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 5.9L Ram --- A/C fuse keeps blowing

I recently installed a new A/C compressor.When I turn the fan-blower switch "on" to see if the A/C clutch engages, the fuse blows. Ihave a jumper wire on the pressure plug to make sure the compressor turns on.
Just to make sure something wasn’t wrong with the new A/C compressor, I unplugged it from its connector plug(near the underneath ofthe carb),replaced the blown20A fuse (under the hood), and turned the fan-blower switch "on" again. The fuse blew again. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, on the "switch side"of the compressor plug (sameplug as before, near the carb) there is a rubber protector sheath(where the wirescome out)that looks like it is covering up a resistor, or maybe a capacitor (I can’t exactlytell),that is connected from the positive-wire contact to the negative-wire contact. Does anyone know what the purpose of this component is? And if itwent bad, could it possiblybe the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: '95 5.9L Ram --- A/C fuse keeps blowing

It's a surge suppression diode. The clutch on your A/C is a big electromagnet. when the clutch disengages the magnetic clutch send out a big voltage spike (just like an ignition coil) The diode blocks this voltage from entering the vehicles electrical system and frying all the electronics. it's not the cause of your problem.
This fuse that blows is it for the a/c clutch or the blower motor?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
gkemm12

Ahh... OK, its a diode. That all makes sense to me.

The fuse that's blowing islocated under the hood, in the #10 spot. On the fuse box cover, its listed as"20 AMP - HORN".
In the Owners Manual, its listed as the "Horn / AC" fuse.

And incase you're wondering, the stupid horn works fine.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:54 PM
gkemm12

Can that diode go bad?

I have a handheld voltmeter thathas a Continuity option, and when I check it from the positive wire on the switchwire-harness to the positive part of the A/C compressor plug, my meter beeps. This proves that I have a good connection. But when I keep the contact on the positive wire on the switchwire-harness & movethe othercontact to the Negative part of the A/C compressor plug, my meter alsobeeps. Should it? Doesn’t that prove that I have a negative & positive connectioncrossing paths,which is why my fuse is blowing? I can’t think of anything else, than maybe that diode is bad.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:28 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

I doubt the Diode is the cause of the blown fuse. If you want to check it you need to set your meter to diode check setting. It looks like a triangle with a line through it.It should pass voltage in one direction then reverse your test leads and it should block.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:38 PM
gkemm12

I grabbed a multimeter from work & tested that diode. It read 0V in each direction. That was my problem.
I picked up aused wire harness from a junk yard, hooked it up, and now my A/C works great. Now, if I dont take my roof off, I'll have my A/C to keep me comfortable!

Hey Rabbler, thanks for the help!

[IMG]local://upfiles/73929/24782C188CEB4B4AB03AA78E432410AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Glad I could help.
That is not a common problem. I would have lost $ on that bet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '95 5.9L Ram --- A/C fuse keeps blowing