2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Does anyone know how to check transfer case fluid? or tell me what this rattleing is?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:27 PM
bbourns
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to check transfer case fluid? or tell me what this rattleing is?

Well i lifted it....have the rear driveshaft lengthed to the correct length everything that could be tightned down or removed i did...When i go down the road (Roughly above 40) and let off the gas i get a like a rattle noise can't figure out where its comming from doesn't sound exactly good though...driveshaft is good rear end has good fluid all the u joints are good and i just replaced the passenger side wheel bearing so that little noise is gone from that....kind of lost...but don't want to pay 75.00 bucks yet ethier to have the mech's look at it

i was going to check the transfer case fluid...i see two nuts on the backside of it but i want to make sure i'm thinking right before i start pulling apart

if anyone has a answer to ethier one of my questions that would be awesome

THANKS GUYS
brandon

Old 10-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Does anyone know how to check transfer case fluid? or tell me what this rattleing is?

That bottom nut is your drainplug.
The top is your fill plug.

Not sure about the noise. Sorry.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM
bbourns
Rookie
Default RE: Does anyone know how to check transfer case fluid? or tell me what this rattleing is?

now how do you tell the level your supposed to be at...is the fluid supposed to come right up to the bottom of the full hole

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea the bottem of the hole

Old 10-12-2007, 05:04 PM
2500 mopar
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this noise is it like a vibrating noise? i had a vibrating noiseand feeling comming form the transfer case shifterand the guys who fixed it said that it was a combination of a cracked transfer case and a bad u-joint

Old 10-12-2007, 09:48 PM
bbourns
Rookie

yeah, when i hear the rattle i can grab my 4 wheel shifter and almost feel it....but i don't see any fluid or anything where it could be leaking from....all it takes is for me to let of the gas a half inch or so and it starts rattling (thats when i'm going over 40)

Old 10-12-2007, 11:45 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

could be....
plentary gear failure/worn in trans

bearings in Transfer case

backlash in diff too little

Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

Your noise is almost assuredly a bad transfer case output bearing.

It is extremely common in the NV231D due to the long tailshaft. There is a "C" clip that holds the output bearing in place that are notorious for breaking which leads to bearng play and ultimately bearing failure.

Mine did the exact same thing. If it is to the point of making noise it has trashed the bearing and wil need to be rebuilt. You can live with it for a while, but eventually it will fail completely.

Remanufactured NV231D's are anywhere from $600-900 from all the checking around I did. After checking several local sources and looking on the internet for reman t-cases (which all charged a $200-350 core charge and you have to pay the shipping), I bought a brand new NV231HD with a slip yoke eliminator from JB conversions for $900 shipped to my door.

JB conversions NV231HD has a 6 pinion planatary gear set and a slip yoke eliminator with all the guts from a NV241, so it is very much stronger than the original Dodge 1/2 ton t-case. They are also brand new, so there is no core charge to mess with, or shipping to pay for to get your core back to them. You will have to get a new rear driveshaft with a CV on the t-case end to make it work. But if you go this route you wind up with a stronger t-case and a slip yoke eliminator which is desirable so that you can remove your rear drivesghaft without oil leaking out. The CV driveshaft also helps eliminate driveline vibrations with increased angles from a lift kit.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 AM
bbourns
Rookie

hey man....thanks alot thats alot of information that will help out....i will check into that and save your reply to help me hopefully get my problem figured out and then i'll get back to ya...thanks....

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to check transfer case fluid? or tell me what this rattleing is?