2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plow Truck Tire question(s). Slight upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:10 AM
1bigplowtruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plow Truck Tire question(s). Slight upgrade?

I recently purchased a 1997 2500, with the 5.9 and an 8' minute mount fisher plow. (truck has 46000 miles, and is in very good condition). I have the stock 245.75.16 tires, and they look like cute little spares! I would like to put on a set of either 16x8 or 16x10 wheels with 33x12.5x16 wheels/tires.. Will these fit a stock truck without a suspension lift or body lift? Also, will they have a dramatic affect on power, will the truck still be capable of plowing well? Lastly, any opinions on the best "snow tire".. I am looking at the parnelli jones dirt grip tires and matching wheels.. Am I crazy? Thanks in advance, and hello to everyone on the board!

Old 11-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Snafu
Default RE: Plow Truck Tire question(s). Slight upgrade?

I run 285/75r16 tires on my '97 2500. It comes out to about a 33x10.50 and works well. They clear, barely. Well, the front ones are rubbing on my step bars, but I'm relocating them. I run Cooper A/T's, and they're about the best tire I've ever had for all-around traction all year long. Not terribly expensive either. This is the second truck I've bought a set for and I really like them. I've got them mounted on 16x7 Eagle Alloy rims. They've got less backspacing so it's a much more aggressive stance, but it still does well on the road.

Here's a pic of it the day I brought it home from the tire shop. Don't have anything newer, but this gives you an idea-

Old 11-09-2004, 10:56 AM
hipkinsd
Captain

I just went over to 285/75/R16 BFG T/A KO's on stock 16x7 rims. Just like Snafu's Cooper tires, mine rub just a bit when I cut the wheel all the way in either direction. But they ride like champs and you just can't go wrong with BFG's. I paid about $900 for a set of four tires and an alignment. I'd recommend this size over the 33x12.50 since you'll want a tire that cuts into the snow rather than ride on top of it. The wider the footprint, the less it'll cut into the snow.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8921/B20AEF569A7C44F790A8EE30B0BEB80C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Snafu

Just FYI, I've got about $525 into the Coopers.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:37 AM
1bigplowtruck

thanks for the advise. I have seen "leveling kits" floating around ebay, (I beleive they are simply a spacer for the front spring) to "level out" the stance of the truck. Would this solve the rubbing problem (or near rubbing problem), also is it a height issue that is causing them to rub, or the width? Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2004, 12:11 PM
Snafu

The rub has to do with a combination of height, width, and wheel backspacing. My rub is just on my tube step bars. After I move them back 1" the rub should be gone. I tried a set of 33x12.50's on 10" wheels. the wheels had a lot more backspacing, which put the outside edge of the tire about the same place as my current ones. They rubbed a little more, but in the same place. So changes in any or all of the three things above will change your situation

The leveling kits are usually either a 2" spacer for the front, which I personally don't like, or a 3/4" tray that welds in between the bottom of the coil spring and the existing perch. I'm not a fan of these either. One good way to get an extra inch of clearance is to get a set of front springs out of a 1-ton. You can get these from a junkyard, usually pretty cheap. They'll fit right in, and give you 1" more clearance, but the truck will ride a little stiffer.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:40 PM
1bigplowtruck

I've done a little more research, and wanted to check with you all first. I have heard from a few companies that with a 3" body lift, I would have no rubbing issues with a 33x12.50 even though I plow. Do you agree? Also, would the body lift cause any problems when it comes to plowing? Thanks again for the advise!

_Dave

Old 11-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Snafu

Body lifts really are the half *** way of getting a truck up. They also put more of a point load on the sheet metal mounts on the bottom of the cab. After a while, the metal fatigues from the extra stress, and the metal starts tearing. I've seen this many times in the past. It will help you clear the tires, but will do more damage in the long run, and it looks like *** in my opinion.

If you're hellbent on going with the 12.5" wide tires, go with the 2" spacer lift in the front and an add-a-leaf in the rear. I know I already said I don't like them, but they're MUCH better than body lifts, and are only slightly more expensive. Get ahold of Kevin at www.jeeperzcreeperz.com or at (734) 281-8141. He's a good guy and his shop usually has pretty good prices.

Old 12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
derranged694

ive got a set of 315x75 tires on my plow truck and i do get a lot of rubbing but other then that my5.9L does fine. even though it is a wider tire, i havent noticed any real power drop while plowing. only complaint is the rubbing because my fisher minute 2 mount puts about 600 lbs or so on the front of my truck. but with the plow off, i dont get any rubbing. ( i actually had to put a 2 inch lift on the front to get it to work.

Quick Reply: Plow Truck Tire question(s). Slight upgrade?