2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Ramafication
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottom end

Well I took the oil pan off my truck yesterday and started removing rod caps, got halfway towards the back of the motor and started seeing scored bearings and the cranks was getting worse the further back i went, when i got to the last 2, i cranked on the wratchet and the whole crank moved half an inch forward. so i stopped removing caps and placed the oil pan back in place, time for another motor i think. what would yougirls n guysdo? rebuild the whole thing or replace it.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:40 PM
XXL 1500
Captain
Default RE: bottom end

its really up to you.
depends how compression is and compares to other cylinders.
bearings are replacable
could be a lubrication problem.
how was your oil pump screen?
prob if just your bearings are scored, good compression, no knocking, i would just replace bearings and put in a high volume oil pump
but its really up to you what you do...

if u have money to spend... rebuild it
i personally wouldn't if it has good compression and no knocking...

Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are you saying the crank is broken ?
is it knocking ?
how many miles ?
how well did it run before it broke ?
do you want a stock motor or a hot rod ?
how many more miles do you want it to run ?

if it was me, and the broke motor had a ton of miles and i wanted to drive a stock motor for many years to come, i'd price compare a rebuild kit including machine work, crank, pistons, cam, lifters, heads, etc vs a rebuilt engine from Jasper or similar place and probably go with the Jasper and install it myself. the jasper is probably 2000-2500. i don't know how much the rebuild would add up to.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Ramafication
Rookie

unfortunatley there was a horrible knock, the flywheel is all scratched up and the oil screen was full of strings, im thinking the shoulders on the rear of the crank were severed causing such an extensive amount of endplay judging by the mess of the flywheel and i swear i seen the crank pully wobbling, i mean i would need a new crankshaft, main bearings rod bearings, i also have what sounded like a collapsed lifter in the top end (probably becasue the oil screen was clogged), but asides of all the funny noise, it ran like a charm compression seemed to be perfect because it was only a few months ago, all new stuff was put in it. i have a line on a 500 dollar motor, I think ill be replacing it for now, but i may rebuild the one i have for next year, and get it done real good

Old 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

okay now i know real severity of problem(s) haha
yeah reeeeebuild
good luck!

Quick Reply: bottom end