2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diesel Charging System Problems (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
coalburner24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel Charging System Problems (Help)

Howdy gang,

Im new here and i really like the set up. I have to admit im new to diesels all together but I love mine. I have a 98.5 Ram 3500 Dually 5spd 4wd 24valve cummins. I am having a problem with my alternator. I am not getting any charging at all. I checked with a volt meter and am not getting 14-16v like i was previously. I wanted to ask if anyone had any reccomendations of relays or fuses to check?? Or anything common to go out that i should check out b4 I yank out the alternator. Thankyou.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diesel Charging System Problems (Help)

try the cummins section of the ram forum... they can help alot better than we can

Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Diesel Charging System Problems (Help)

Most likely a bad alternator.
A few checks you can do are. Check for battery voltage at the big re terminal on the alt that goes to the battery.
on the two small wires one should have batt volts and the other ground. if that all is good alt most likely failed.

Quick Reply: Diesel Charging System Problems (Help)