2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help Please!!! Starting problem/computer problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 PM
deochbeoir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please!!! Starting problem/computer problem

Ok, I really need some help here. A few weeks ago my truck was starting to have problems starting when cold. It would start if i put some carb and choke cleaner or starting fluid in the intake. If it sat too long then it would have the starting problem again, usually if it sat more than 8 hours. Then it started not to even start with the help of the starting fluids at all. I then checked the compression and all were between 110 and 120 so that was ok. Then I pulled the fuel line out and turned the key over and it started pouring out gas until I ran and shut the key off. I heard a clicking noise coming from the fuse box from one of the relays while it was pouring out fuel. I thought that maybe the fuel relay was bad so I replaced it. I have a remote start and I used that after I replaced the relay and it started for a couple of days.

Then in the morning after I filled the tank up the previous night,it wouldnt start again. I checked the clicking and it was still clicking, I looked around and found that the ASD relay was clicking rapidly. without stopping until i turn the ignition off. I looked around online and saw that some people had the same problem and replaced their PCM/ECM and that worked. I boughta new one from autozone and replaced it, but it still started clicking after I turned the ignition to ON.

There are 3 plugs that go into the pcm the two outside ones are black and the middle is white. When I unplug either of the black ones, there is no clicking. But it still clicks if I unplug the white one. I am at a total loss what to do. I am not sure if it is a fuel problem, because I was under the impression that when you turn the ignition ON, the FUEL relay clicks on and off in 1 second to pressurize the system. And I though that it also energized the ASD relay for 3 seconds then clicked off. Instead it clicks rapidly until I turn it OFF. Nowmy truckwon't start at all. SO then I decided to check to see if there were and DTC's with my Hypertec Power Programmer, and it says now that it is Unable to check vehicles ID number giving the code 6E, even though I have the old computer plugged in. I should have checked for them first, but didn't think about it so now im screwed!

Please please please, if you have had this problem or have any idea can you help me figure this out....Its driving me crazy!

Thanks

Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help Please!!! Starting problem/computer problem

Sound like a bad ground somewhere.
Check where your negative batt cable meets the engine and any other ground straps. Make sure they are clean and tight. You can try swapping relays and see if that helps. Your pcm is what grounds the ASD and Fuel relays. you might want to check those wires for good continuity.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 PM
deochbeoir

UPDATE: Ok......so I went to autozone and picked up an OBD II to check and see if there were any codes, when I plugged it in and turned the key over....the clicking stopped and my truck started just fine......What on earth does that mean? And now it starts on the first try whenever I have the OBD plugged in. When I unplug it, the relays start clicking again and no start. What is that?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rabbler

Sound like a bad ground somewhere.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 AM
greenmachine
All Star

There was a thread in here not to long ago where a guy had issues with his buss. He found a few "loose " wires at his OBDII hook up. Might try looking there since it works fine while hooked up. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Help Please!!! Starting problem/computer problem