2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial?

Does anyone run these tires on their ram? Before the hard winters of Maine hit, I'd like to get rid of the mud tires, and get into something that will do great on snow, and icey surfaces. These tires seem to do that. Something that appeals to me about these tires as well, is that they have a smooth tread. I can't stand the sound of mud tires. Unless you regulary off-road, they are pretty darn useless. They slip in rain, and they suck in snow, not to mention they hallow ALL THE TIME lol. Anyways, whats your thought with this tire, and anyone run them here on this forum??

Old 11-01-2007, 10:31 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial?

what do you have on now? and what makes you think that this tire be so much better ? unless the tire is studed you are SOL on ice...depends on temp the ice can get stickey...hell i run the super swamper and had no problems in rain so i know i wont have a problem in the snow..

Old 11-01-2007, 10:38 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Right now I'm running Dunlop Mud Rovers in the 35" size. Any kind of radial tire is going to outdo any mud tire, it's just the nature. Mud tires are awesome in mud and dirt, but aren't designed to kick out snow, they also aren't designed to hydroplane, so this is why I know this tire will outdo my mud tires. Mickey Thompson makes great quality tires, and this tire seems to fit me best. I dont really do any recreational off-roading, so I dont need to run a full time mud tire. I enjoy being able to go high speeds without any of the hollowing effect going on. This tire advertises as "excelling on loose surfaces such as dirt, snow, rain, and doing good on ice". Obviously nothing can stop ice, but you can sure increase your chances of being safer on it. Anyways, was just seeing if anyone had this tire to get some feedback on it. The mud tires defniately are going though...they are loud, suck in snow, definately suck on ice, offer average handling, and don't do anything special for hydroplaning

Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker

I live in Vermont which means I deal with Vermont winters. My last 4x4 I ran severe weather rated BG Goodrich All Terrain T/A's for two years and they worked great. Back and forth over the mountains in snow storms and when the roads were shut down they never left me stranded. When I go offroading they seem to always dig in and I never got stuck unless I was belly hung. Thats why I went back to them on my Dodge. Maybe they are more up your alley, just remember to get the severe weather rated ones.

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial?