2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C compressor clutch not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:33 PM
DANS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C compressor clutch not engaging

My A/C went out and I figured it just needed recharging. The problem is the clutch will not engage on the compressor. I've tried jumping the wires on the accumulator and I can move the clutch by hand but it will not engage even after putting refrigerant in the system. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Dan

Old 11-02-2007, 10:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: A/C compressor clutch not engaging

If I remember right there's an AC relay in the PDC, double check that it is working by probing it with a test light.

I alsorecallthere being a "kill switch" built into the system to keepit from burning up if the refrigerant level drops below a certain PSI due to a leak in the system. Have you checked to make sure it's holding the charge?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:08 PM
DANS

did some more trouble shooting. relay is fine, when the truck is cold I can jump the accumulator switch and the clutch engages. the pressure in the system with the clutch engaged is right where it should be and the A/C blows very cold air. when I take the jumper off and reconnect it to the accumulator the clutch disengages. once the truck is warmed up from running I can't get the clutch to engage even when I jump the switch. If I leave the jumper on when it's cold theA/C will continue to run as long as the truck is runningso long as I don't take the jumper off. The high pressure line coming off the compresor is very hot, the low pressure is cool to cold, and the high pressure running to thecab willfrostup on max A/CCould it be the switch in the accumulator? or the accumulator?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:25 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the HP line is hot...it should be! Up until the orifice tube. If the LP line actually gets frost (scrapable frost) then the charge is too low. Got any numbers? Gauge readings, that is. HI side vs LOW side? Ambient temp.?
WC

Old 11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
DANS

low pressure is cool not frosty. The insulated HP line gets frosty. The gauge just reads green, blue and red. blue means it's properly charged and that's where it is. ambient temp was 70.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:01 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't diagnose the system with a death kit gauge. You need hi and low side readings. Borrow a gauge set or take it to a shop. Depending if you are in a metro area with alot of competition, some shops will check for free.
WC

Quick Reply: A/C compressor clutch not engaging