2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

??shackle flip question??

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
gotricebih
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ??shackle flip question??

does anyone know how much a shackle flip will lift the rear of my 2001 dodge ram sport?

i need to know so i can know how much lift to buy for the front.

thanks for your help,
chase

Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 PM
spaz_22
Captain
Default RE: ??shackle flip question??

a bds shackle flip will give you around 4-5 inches of lift with a 1 inch zero rate. Aim makes shackle flips in different sizes becuase they also have front hangers so you don't have to use a zero rate.

Old 11-07-2007, 01:15 AM
nhlbill
Veteran
Default RE: ??shackle flip question??

You will get 4"of lift by itself, but then your wheel will be too far foward in the wheelwell (BDS does not use a Zero Rate intheir kit). So most guys also buy a 1" zero rate that bolts to the leaf pack and allows you to move the axle back 1-1.5" and center the wheels in the fender.

The BDS shackle flip for a 5" lift is designed to be used with your factory block, but BDS does not use a Zero rate in their kit, so the flip levels out their 5" front springs. Usually when the BDS flip is used with a zero rate, the back is too tall for 5" front springs. If you want to run 5" springs in the front you can do something similar to what I did with mine which is remove the factory block and replace it with an add-a-leaf to play around with the height a bit.

I'm running 7" Skyjacker coils with Rock Krawler long arms in the front and a BDS shackle flip with a ProComp 2" add-a-leaf and a 1" zero rate and no factory block in the rear of mine.The truckis level, but I also have a 200# front bumper. Before I had the bumper I ran the same rear combination with 5" springs in the front and it was ever so slightly raked. It was raked pretty bad before I took out the factory block and replaced it witth a add-a-leaf though.

It also seems to matter Reg. Cab vs. Quad cab (more lift required for the heavier quad cab).

Quick Reply: ??shackle flip question??