2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rust at bottom of doors

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:37 AM
kstroeher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust at bottom of doors

Is this a common problem on our trucks? I just noticed the slightest bit of rust forming on the entire length of the driver door. Guess I better go see my body guy but I was wondering if others have noticed it?

Old 11-07-2007, 11:31 AM
xskylinedx
Record Breaker
Default RE: rust at bottom of doors

I see alot of it on the Rams up here in Vermont. I've noticed that most of the rigs without mudflaps have this problem. I think its because rocks from the tires chip the paint then when winter rolls around and salt eats awayat the unprotected metal. My uncles Ram is a 99 and along with rust on thebottom part of the doorsyou can put your finger threw the rocker panels.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:37 AM
tboss
Rookie

Try to clean the crud from your door drains this will stop the water from sitting in the bottom of your doors. IMHO terry ---------tboss PS you might have to remove the door panels to make it easier.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:53 AM
cnorris
Rookie

There is one sure-fire way never to have this problem ever again:

Live in California....

Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
kstroeher
Professional

ORIGINAL: tboss

Try to clean the crud from your door drains this will stop the water from sitting in the bottom of your doors. IMHO terry ---------tboss PS you might have to remove the door panels to make it easier.
Door drains???

Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM
mopar crazy
Professional

ya, those oval holes on the bottom on the inside of the door. there should be 2 of them, one on each side and maybe one in the middle. When cleared these are what drain any excess water.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Wile C
Professional

I had rust on the inside at the seam, Mopar reluctantly replaced it under warranty whenit was just 3 years oldbut would not do the same w/the same problem on the bottom of the tailgate at 5 years. The truck was still under the warranty... I live in Virginia.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:04 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I had the same thing going on my truck. So I had a bottom shop sand the entire perimeter of the truck and spray a "chip guard" all over the perimiter. Then I had them paint it the color of the truck, really saved the entire vehicles lower half.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:38 PM
kstroeher
Professional

I could sand it down and spray it with a bedliner material (been thinking along those lines anyway) but I assume there is a lot more rust that I CAN'T see inside those doors. Hiding it isn't going to do me any good.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

The guy at the bodyshop told me to tape off the bottom of the doors with a ducktape. Then he said to drill a small whole toward the bottom of the door, and then to dump motor oil in there and let it sit for a little bit. Then he said take the ducktape off the bottom of the door so the oil could drain out. He said by doing this, that it will prevent it from rusting inside the door, so it will stop bleeding out towards the bottom. Worked good too.

Quick Reply: rust at bottom of doors